• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Looking for a new gun

Well about time for a new gun. Ive been shooting deer with the same Remington 700 youth model in .308 that was bought prior to my first year hunting 10 years ago. This is a deer gun Im looking for.

When is the best time to look/buy a gun? Should I start looking now?

I havent looked at guns for 10+ years so Im not to sure whats out there. Any recomendations? Im open to anything at the moment.

I would never discourage someone from getting a new gun, but is it possible that you can get an aftermarket adult size stock for that youth sized 308? It would save you money and you would still have your first rifle.

Now if you want a new gun, there is never a better time then today, meaning, I am not sure if there is ever a timeframe where the "Big Deals' come out like in March for ice fishing houses.

What are you looking to spend and is there anything specific you are looking for? This is a huge A vs. B vs. C. vs. D debate, and since I am first to respond I get first shot so to speak: I think Savage Rifles with Accutrigger are quite possibly the best deal out there right now. Marlin has a similar trigger and I think Mossberg does as well, but for cost and out of the box accuracy, it is hard to beat the Savage. If money is no object, Brownings are silky smooth as are Weatherby's. I have picked up a couple Howa's and the bolt is smooth but they have been HEAVY. I have never picked up a Sako or a Tikka but they are quality firearms too. Winchester and Remington do make good, reliable rifles, but I always seem to read someone follow up buying a Rem or Win with "After the trigger job, it was a tack driving machine...."

If you can be more specific in what you are looking for: synthetic or wood, stainless, blued or Duracoat, standard caliber or speciality caliber (257 Weatherby comes to mind)

Good luck, and don't buy the first one you find, enjoy your shopping

A friend of mine is a gun savvy nut. He put me onto the Savage stuff a couple years ago.

Sooo happy he did.

I have bought a .243 youth with the accu trigger, a .308(no accu trigger) and a .17 HMR with accu trigger.

Absolutely love them all. I see no reason to go with anything else for my future purchases. Well not that I really need any more rifles for a while. LOL.

As a side note, my friend that highly recommended the Savages, he does custom stock work as a hobby, so I replaced all the synthetic stocks with wood stocks and he glass bedded them and all. These guns are tack drivers in every respect with what he has done.

PS - That .17 HMR combo was just on sale for $199.99 at Cabelas again. What an absolute hoot of a gun!!!!!!!!!!!!

I also am a big fan of Savage. I own a Model 12 in .223 and a Model 16 in .300 WSM. I love both and they are very accurate. Be on the look out for deals I got my Model 16 in Jan on sale at a store in Walker. You probably know the store that I am talking about.

Both rifles group well under an inch at 100 Meters.

Ok thanks for the replies. Im mostly just trying to get a handle on whats out there now. I do want a new gun, the one Im currently using will go to my sister or girlfriend so it won't be sold. I like the .308 and would prefer a wood stock. I also notice a differance in triggers between my current gun and others, mine is alot "heavier" or takes more effort. I shoot as light a trigger as I can with my bow release and would like a lighter trigger on a rifle. Just going to take some poking around and reading reviews and stuff

I have a Timney trigger in my Savage 110. I did the work myself, and it wasn't too complicated. Very, very nice trigger. It was an adjustment to learn how to shoot it though.

Also, I guess the triggers in the Savage 110 are fairly simple and can be worked with pretty good results. I'm thinking of doing this on my gun, just for the practice. I intend to keep the Timney in the gun on a permanent basis so if I screw the trigger job up, it's no big deal.