• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Transplanted tree question

smeese

I attempted to transplant a 15" tall Swamp Oak (white oak variant) and when digging it up where it naturally developed instead of getting a root ball I just got a long root. It was quicky replanted so it did not dry out and the root seemed intact. What are the odds it made it? Hard to tell with the Leaves being brown and falling off?! It has been kept watered since and has been in its new spot for a couple weeks. Any opinions or suggestions?

A bit late but your best move when transplanting a tree is careful prep of the hole. Dig it about 3 times bigger than you thought you should, make sure it has decent drainage, and then refill the hole using good soil with some compost mixed in. The guy on this old house always sprinkles in some starter fertilizer with a higher phosphorous. I would be cautious about over watering but I don't know what's too much - depends I suppose on the species and the soil.

I don't know what a swamp oak is but I have noticed that folks have a tough time with swamp birch. The seem to grow for 7-10 years and then die off. You may want to check to make sure that your tree has a chance in your site instead of wasting years trying to keep it going. U's extension service may be a good place to start with that.

Swamp white oak is native to the SE corner of MN and is commonly found along streams, flood plains and swamps resulting from flooding. Can also be found in scattered pockets primarily in the southern half of MN. It prefers moist soils, hence the name. The next door neighbor has a row of them he planted as 2' - 3' saplings about 5 - 7 years ago in some lower lying ground we once pastured. They are doing well and are roughly 5' - 6' tall now. This particular species has been fairly common as part of SWCD offerings in our area. If you moved this tree from lowland habitat to an upland scenario, as was mentioned you may be fighting an uphill battle to keep it going especially if we experience prolonged dry spells and watering the tree is neglected in that timeframe. Getting as much of the taproot as you did will help and keeping it well watered was a good idea to start it out.

If you packed it in well, dug deep enough so the tap root could travel all the way to the bottom of the hole without twisting or wrapping it around in a coil, you should be just fine. Water it in well and pack again to settle any air pockets, and all should be fine come spring. I suggest a once a week watering regimen starting in mid June next year unless it's a wet year.

And one more thing before winter sets in as I see your address is Mankato where I'm guessing you planted the tree: If you really want it to have a chance, make sure you get some tree wrap of some kind around it. Those plastic spirals are cheap and effective. From one who has transplanted several species of oaks that size on our property not too far from Mankato, they are bunny candy. It doesn't matter what else you've planted, those cottontails will find them. If they don't kill them they will slow the development of an already relatively slow growing tree.

It sounds like you got a large tap root and transplanted it so you took care of the hardest part of transplanting oaks.

Like was said the Swamp White Oak is primarily a lowland species so I hope you planted it in a naturally moist place. They will perform is all sorts of habitat so don't fret if you moved it to an upland location. It will survive just fine, but it will grow much slower than if it was in a natural location. We have planted dozens of SW oaks in urban settings such as boulevard and tree grate plantings and they do fairly well, albeit very slowly.

Only time will tell, but it sounds like you've taken all the right steps.