• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Berkeley nano fil

Tried this nano fil 6lb this weekend for the first time. The previous line was fireline 8lb strength so I'll be comparing it against that.

It does seem to cast farther than mono or fireline but it digs into itself on the spool on a fish or snag because the diameter is so small, stopping the casts prematurely. The line itself seems stronger than fireline but the knot breaks more easly. Was able to get cut off by a northern with it but it held up longer than fireline has done for me. While the river has gone down some it seems that the nano fishes deeper as I got quite a few more snags. I'm not to fond of the color white line, I don't think they could have picked a worse color, despite it's narrow diameter it's still very visible under water. Probably best used in the dark or very murky water. Finally the line feels more round but cuts just as uneasily as fireline with a clipper.

I feel that if it came in a better color I'd be happier with it and it's better suited to drifting or trolling than casting jigs from shore.

I used the 6 lb Nano this spring and have only the 10 lb Fireline to compare it to. The Nano should actually be a little weaker in equivalent line strengths, but it's obviously smaller too.

Did you use the "Nanofil" knot? It's detailed in the packaging. It's essentially a palomar knot with an extra loop. I did not have any issues with the knot failing.

I also tie on a 10-15 # flouro leader to reduce visability. Really good compromise with this setup. I can cast for distance with very little effort, which increases accuracy. And I can now troll 2-3 feet deeper with some lures than my 10# Fireline. Good line IMO, just expen$ive.