• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

reduced loads for 223

anyone here have experience in reducing loads for 223? A buddy of mine wants reduced loads for AR-15 using blue dot. I have the blue dot, and have seen some literature about it online. Just not sure about using it, let alone letting him use it. WE will be shooting the loads together (like we usually do), but I have already told him he will be taking his AR apart after every round to prove the barrel is empty.

Research I have found said that 15 gr of blue dot can get a 55 gr. vmax out at about 3600 fps with no over pressure and it takes more rounds to heat up a barrel. Just curious if anyone else has used blue dot or unique in reduced rifle loads.

Buddy wants a squirrel friendly load, I told him to use his 22, but he wants the ability to use his AR. I know the reduced loads will not cyclye the rifle

TTT, yeah, he tried one of those 500 dollar conversion kits from Cabelas, it didn't work at all.....besides shooting lead down the barrel of a sub MOA gun is not the best idea in my book. Of course over coppering the barrel with reduced loads won't be any better. His experience with the conversion kit stopped me from getting one for my 1911...I don't think coversion kits are all they are hyped up to be anyway

Blue Dot is awefully fast for a .223. Personally I would be very hesitant to do it unless it was with lead cast bullets. I definitly wouldn't do it with copper bullets as of fear of getting a bullet stuck. Why does he want to do this anyways? I would rather go with min loads with rifle powders vs Bluedot.

results are in:

after making my buddy open the AR after each shot we were both extremel impressed with the blue dot as a powder. I only put in 5.5 grains of powder (same as my 38 special loads) and while it would cycle the bolt (he was okay with that) he was getting extremely tight groups at 50 yards. He has a balistic plex scope so his reduced loads were hitting almost exactly where his 200 yard line was on his ballistic plex. he shot a 5 shot group that was easily within a quarter at 50 yards, or minute of squirrel head.

after doing more research online I found a number of people who use up to 14 grains of blue dot with 40-55 grain vmax bullets and get in the 3200fps. They shoot praire dogs and can shoot 500 rounds with out heating up the barrel. The only issue I really see with this powder is that it really is not temperature tolerant.

Quote:
His experience with the conversion kit stopped me from getting one for my 1911...I don't think coversion kits are all they are hyped up to be anyway

I have a Sig P220 with a .22 conversion kit on it. It won't always cycle with regular .22 LR, but works fine with .22 high velocity ammo.

Our "reduced" loads back in my Army days

was a blank cartridge, and a section of

cleaning rod!!

That combination put meat in the pot on our

survival courses!! The cadre never found out

our little secret.

Pretty sure it's not a MOA load though.......