• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

weatherby rifle

I must assume you are serious and have never heard of Weatherby rifles. So, I'll help a bit: Roy Weatherby and his company produced high end, high styled rifles for several decades. Lots of hype. Lots of high gloss finish and fancy inlays. Lots of wild-eyed claims for "Weatheryby" developed cartridges.

The rifles were/are beautiful. If you can find a vintage Weatherby without the barrel shot out I'd grab it. Modern Weatherby's no so much. I'd take a nice Browning over the modern rifles.....or a Sako.

I hear a lot of sniveling in shooting forums these days about recoil. If you want to truly know what recoil is all about rap off a half dozen rounds with a 460 Weatherby magnum!

In short: buy a nice used Weatherby if you can find it. For a modern rifle I think you can do better. Ruger, Browning,Sako, Remington too I suppose but I would prefe the first three.

Oh. Lots of history of my old pal Roy Weatherby out there. He did lots of hunting and frolicking in Alaska back in the GOD........good old days.

The Weatherby Vanguard is built by Howa, and has the same action as the Howa 1500, Smith & Wesson 1500, and Mossberg 1500. The action is a good action, and the Vanguard is a good buy, in my opinion. It has a cheap synthetic stock, which could easily be replaced by a better one, if desired.

I went gun shopping for a friend that wanted a new rifle. Money was not a concern.

I came home with a Weatherby rifle and a nice scope for it in .270 caliber.

Gregg loves the rifle as it shoots very well and the gun is beautiful in regards to it's looks.

Of the other guns you named in your OP, all of them will drop a deer for you with some practice.

I have all the brands you named but one and that is a Ruger M77 stainless rifle. This gun shoots fantastic.