• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New Canon 1D-X

Dbl

In case some of you have a spare $6800 laying around Canon puts all the rumors to rest and announces the new EOS-1D X. You can look at a number of sites including Canon's to find all the information you want.

A few highlights.

- 12fps or 14fps with mirror lockup

- ISO range of 100-51,200 (which can be expanded to as high as 204,800)

- All-new 61-point AF system

- Higher-capacity LP-E4N battery

And a whole lot more!

The specs are impressvie. Plus, a full-frame 18 Mp sensor. It's billed as being able to replace either the 1Ds3 or the 1D4. And Canon also says it has the best noise performance of any Canon camera.

It takes a lot to get me to say "wow" about a new camera body. Neither a 1Ds4 nor a 1D5 would have gotten that out of me.

But let me say . . . WOW!!

And that sensor. Could it be Canon has actually listened to those of us whining about how the megapixel race has compromised noise performance?

I have to say that a full-frame 18 Mp camera with this great speed performance has me drooling for the first time in a long time. The ability to go from landscapes with the 17-40 to fast action with big lenses on the same body gets my blood pumping. Not to mention the vid. Vid is a whole new learning curve, I know, and it has its limitations, but what fun! smile

Will it make me a better photographer? Maybe. My knee-jerk inclination is to say no, because it's not gear that makes the photographer. But sometimes, when the gear is brand new and a big step up in performance, it re-engages a photographer and gets him/her working harder.

Those are good things. But $6,800 worth of good things? Well . . . .

I have just started to shop for cameras. I think the 1D-X might be a little, scratch that, A LOT out of my price range. Along the line of anouncing the 5Dlll, has anybody heard anything about Nikon or Canon putting anything new out in the price range of the 7D or the 300s?

It's amazing how much of a drop in price used cameras take when a newer and better model comes out. I believe my Canon 30D was around $1400 when it first came out. I bought it after the 40D came out, for around $700. You can now buy the same camera for as little as $350. It still performs flawlessly, even if I don't at times. wink