• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

shallow first-ice crappies?

That's a good question Bobb-o.

On some lakes, the Crappies hang in or near the weeds until the thinkening ice, low oxygen, and decaying weeds push them deeper. Of course, all three of the above mentioned occurences relate to one another.

Lakes that have deeper areas, but also have clearer water are typically the ones that hold shallower early ice panfish for a couple reasons.

#1 is the water is clearer. While this allows light penetration through the ice more to help keep vegetation alive longer, it also means that weeds are available at deeper depths.

In a lake with murky or tinted water, weed growth may only be present to 7 feet at max, and typically at turnover these weeds have died, or do die, and do not allow a favorable habitat for the fish.

Clear water lakes seem to have an extended weed life, some reasons possibly being because they don't get as warm in the summer, don't cool as fast in the fall, and also, as mentioned earlier, sees better light penetration in deeper depths.

One thing to not overlook is suspended fish, away from the structure your targeting, over the basin areas. This pattern is often times a good evening and night opportunity. I do however recommend pre-drilling holes before twighlight hits, so as to not spook the feeding schools of roaming Crappies.

I typically target the darker bodies of water early on though.

Some of these other fellas can probably offer a more detailed explanation, and even help with some tactics more specified and focused on shallow water, early ice Crappies.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 12-01-2003).]

Like UJ said, crappies will relate to shallow still standing weeds at first ice. Crappies will also use deeper water and shallow structure as well. If you can find weedbeds off shallow drops you can also locate crappies.

I like when crappies are relating to the shallows, espacially in a clear lake because you can sight fish for those slabs. Sight fishing is a fun and useful way of catching fish. You also learn a lot about how fish react by sight fishing. Sometimes fish will ever so slightly suck in your jig only to have them taste it and spit it out faster then a blink of an eye, and by sight fishing you see these actions and hook more fish. Look for pockets or patches in the weeds and enjoy some early ice sight fishing.

Panfish will often times stage in the shallows during early ice and late ice. Shallows can provide hot action and are another location to add to your arsenal, if you haven't already.

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

went out last night on a small lake near brainerd and found a bunch of slabs in aboot 10 feet of water 20 yards from shore. I really havenever fished for early ice crappies cuz i was always after the walters but i thought crappies went deep when the lakes froze? anyone else catch the craps shallow at first ice?

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

the lake gets to 48 feet it is a 260 acre lake and we were getting slabs in 7 feet, the water clarity is aboot 12 feet. The fish were right in the middle of what is normally a pretty thick lilly pad patch.

------------------

but that's the thing the whole lake is mud-bottomed, I will be heading down there tomorrow in the am for two days and will let everyone know where we find them

------------------

Lily pads from a mud bottom, that's odd..

Predator fish will relate to the weeds as long as there is oxygen holding in them. I may know the lake you speak of, and they are shallow almost all winter long. I have seen the gills come through sideways under the ice in 5 feet. Take advantage of opportunities like this to spot fish and pick what you want to catch out of the bunch!

[This message has been edited by mattyjim (edited 12-06-2003).]

this time the fish had moved out into aboot 12 feet of water right in the middle of the bay. The lake which is normally very clear was very murky but we couldnt keep the bass and the crappies off of our line. But as soon as the sun went down nothing would bite. We would watch them come up to the bait sit there for a couple minutes and then swim back down.

------------------

For those looking for some ice, the backwaters at the dike road between Wabasha,Mn. and Nelson, Ws. have seen some action, Pontoon Slough primarily. And the Harbor at Wabasha had been giving up some decent crappies and sunnies...5 - 7 foot of water. Minnows on the craps and waxies for the sunfish. Wilcox further down the line had some ice, but doubtful it has thickened enough to be safe yet and the finger lakes area of the dike at the Pioneer Club also had some ice that was still a bit thin. Depending on the boat activity, West Newton may offer up ice or even late open water fishing...go equipped both ways. The Lake City sailboat harbor will have ice very soon and pannies can be found in there for a short while. If the water happens to be open yet, the crappies should be agreeable with minnows or waxies. With this super cold air coming down tonight and for the next few days, we should see ice much thicker by this weekend and all of these areas will be good to hit.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by CrappieTom (edited 12-09-2003).]