• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Anyone nabbed a few?

united jigsticker

It's early yet but I know some people have made it out in certain places...so I ask, has anyone nabbed any Crappies?

Hey Scott, how's the Crappie bite been for you this fall? Did you go at all, and if so how did ya do?

I am still in the process of getting everything situated and ready for ice fishing.....I've got the time now...perhaps I'll head to the garage and get everything "ice ready".

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

I made it out today. Got into some crappies and gills but nothing to really brag about. I fished a small lake and worked the breaks and stumbled upon a few routes where fish were circulating. Rather large schools would swim through and the action was good when they showed up. Crappies and gills were in different spots. Time was limited because wind and warm temps causing the ice conditions to change. We fished in the shallows in 5-6 feet of water and over deeper holes in 22 feet of water, and everywhere in between. All the fish were caught in 10-15 feet. 11-12 feet seemed to be key, and weeds were covering the bottom about a foot up or so. With the warm temps it may be a little while again until I make it out down in the Metro, might have to make a trip north.

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
Catch-N Tackle and Bio Bait
MarCum

Glad to hear you had some success Matt. Thanks for the report.

I bet getting back out there felt like a continuation from last season!

I look forward to perhaps getting together this winter and icing some slabs together. smile.gif

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

was on a small lake next to brainerd today and caught a ton of nice slabs in aboot ten feet of water 20 yards off shore. the ice was only aboot 4 inches so i didnt go any further out though. Caught them on glow green frostee jigs and crappie minnows, and man were they hitting hard.

------------------
Diplomacy - The art of saying "nice doggie" while you find a rock.

I walked over to my neighborhood lake this afternoon and got into some open water action. I fished for about an hour before the wind finally frost-bit my kahoonas and I came home. In that hour I caught upwards of fifty craps, 2 bass, and 2 northerns from two or three different "holes"...all on small jigs/twister combos. The exception was that I tried the bio bait ice larva again today, but the bite was off on it. For about a half hour the craps hit every cast until they moved out of casting distance. Man that wind was bitter. But the fishing was, as always, good!

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

Tom,

That sounds like a good time. 50 crappies isn't bad. Looks like the crappies follow you where ever you go wink.gif

Bobb-o,
Glad to hear you made it out for a little early ice action. Ice fishing crappies is a blast.

Bring on the ice!!!

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
MarCum

[This message has been edited by MJ5 (edited 12-01-2003).]

Hey MJ....No the craps are not always so agreeable for me. This particular body of water has a substantial crappie base, but they are for the most part small and underfed....hence the activity level. I am not sure if the craps are so numerous that the competition for food is way out of wack or if they simply are genetically imprinted to be smaller fish. There are some dandies in there and are few to say the least. I do not keep fish from this puddle, though there are some who do. The northerns are a result of some mid-night stocking briggade I think and the bass have been there forever like the craps. There's a warm water discharge into it and the water is usually open in some areas during even the coldest weather to offer up some fishing.I'm not much on ice fishing and will visit the pond occasionally thru the winter months and toss jigs and plastic ( my preferred form of fishing) to stay in touch with technique and to try new tackle and baits. If things work in the winter on craps, they'll work even better in the warmer weather. Most often though I can count on the fish to be where I think they will be and can almost always depend on a wild bite. I have seen it go for four hours non-stop...as fast as you can fish. It's a riot.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

Sounds like a nice little lake with a good crappie population. Even catching those smaller fish is fun when you need to get out for an hour of fishing. I've really got into plastics through the ice in the last couple winters and they perform quite well. Finesse plastics and even larger plastics work for panfish through the ice. I plan on using them again this year.

Good Fishin,
Matt

------------------
[email protected]
MarCum