• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Seperation Anxiety?

tsande00

I have a 6 year old lab mix that our family rescued from the Humane Society two years ago. Over all he's a great dog that listens to all basic commands and loves to please his master.

The dog spends his weekdays home alone hiding out from the cats with zero issues. We do not kennel him although he doesn't mind his kennel at all, in fact I think he likes it.

The only issue I have had with this dog is I cannot take him anywhere and leave him tied up without me in his sight. He immediately (the second I go out of sight) starts whining, howling, barking, etc. It has become a big problem. The other odd thing is it's only a problem if I'm the one going out of sight. He could care less if the wife or kids take off. It's too the point where I can't even take him anywhere outside the home where I won't be with him at all times.

When I come back into his sight he's so excited it's as if I had been gone for a week.

If I leave him in the truck to run into a store he's fine.

Has anybody else ran into this or does anybody have any suggestions?

Congrat's on an older Lab rescue dog decision and be grateful that the dog likes you that much! Maybe a simple, self adjusting bark collar would work. Keeps my 6 month Lab quiet as a church mouse when I need to use it. Bought it at Menards for like $60. Never liked the whole e-collar thing until I tried it. Read up on them before you try it as it may not be for you. Good luck!

Deeee...lighted your new pal depends on you so much and has obviously "adopted" you. The passive No Bark collar is a good idea. Do not panic if the dog has a loud and hurt response to it the first time it goes off-----stay with it. Odd's are it will not take long before he gets the message.

Sounds like a nice pal. Good luck with him.

Toss him a biscuit. Tell him I said it was okay. LOL

Thanks for the kind words guys. It's hard to appreciate his affection though when he's making everybody else around him angry, lol. I'll be sure to check into one of those collars. Sounds like it might just do the trick.