• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ripley results fro Deployed/DAV hunts

MUSKY18

Wish I could be the bringer of great news, but the hunting was TOUGH! As everyone can imagine, with a high temp of 83 on Wed and 78 with 20-30 winds today, there were not a pile of deer shot. I had to leave at noon today in order to get to a function, but last count I heard was 9 deer being shot between the Deployed soliders and Disabled Veterans. The hunt was an all around success, especially with the two dinners that were put on for us. Bud Grant hunted as a DAV, got up and gave a talk and gave away a bunch of autographed hats. There were shotguns given away to the DAV's and for the deployed soliders in the hunt, they gave away 5 Matthews Drenaline bows, completely setup. Very nice jesture by all the groups supporting this hunt.

As for the hunt......it is drier than a popcorn fart down range. The first morning I passed up a shot on a doe at 15 yards, had a yong fawn with her, so I watched them mill around and eat acorns for about 20 minutes. Saw a couple other deer that were out of range, and by 9am the deer movement was at a stand still. Saw another deer walking down to the edge of the pond right at last light, decent body, but too dark to see if there was headgear on it or not. This morning I passed up on a 20 yard shot on a yong 8 pointer. Looked to be maybe a year and half old buck. If he is able to stick around he might be something nice. Had a perfect rack, just short and no mass. He ate acorns behind me for 45 minutes before wandering off into the CRP and bedding down. Saw two more does and then once the wind picked up, the deer movment was nill.

Acorns and water seemed to be the ticket to find the deer. The were deer seen all around, but this seemed to be the ticket from all the guys I talked with. Lots of timber wovles with pups were seen up in the NW Corner of the Camp. And more turkeys than you can shake a stick at.....just the wrong season!

Musky18, you guys really had some tough conditions this week, wish it could have been better weather for hunting. It sound as though a good number of deer were seen Wed. night but it was right before dark.

It sure was a nice gesture from the LTD ogranization donating those bows. Was kind of fun to talk to Bud Grant, I think he had a lot of people stopping just to talk this week!

It was fun for me once again to talk to some of you during lunch and during checkout, It's an honor to be out there with you guys!

Good luck with the rest of the season!

Musky, You like that NW corner dont you. Had some buddies hunt the east side of the range and they had a 160 slip past two of them sitting 80 yards apart. Lots of does seen and each of them put some chow in th feezer. They also said it wasnt what it could have been.

I actually hunt the East side of George E Leach range. Never have hunted the NW corner as it is crowded. Have quite a few good buddies that hunt that area tho.