• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Breaking the rules?

Hit the water this weekend for the old paperlips, and it seemed the Crappies didn't want to bite.

I searched first in the 10-20 foot range, and found some big suspended schools. They didn't look quite right, but I fished them anyways. A few wiggles of the jig, and a hit. Perch!!!

Moved along, up to the adjacent weedline, and started casting along. Sunfish, Pike, Bass...No Crappies.

Hit a few other spots, the deep water had suspended Perch, the weedline and edges has Pike and Sunfish.

Back up into 3 feet of water I went with a casting bubble and feather jig.

Boom! There was the Crappies. 3-5 feet of water again, way up in the weeds in open pockets and holes.

Unusual for August but it just goes to show. Fishing is fishing, not a science. smile.gif

Had some heavy storms with high wind, hail, and boomers come through yesterday. I was hoping that would push the fish deeper, but yesterday evening was still productive in 3-5 feet of water suspended under the bubble, way up in the weeds.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 08-11-2003).]

Over the last 2 weeks all the slabs we have been getting have been coming out 2-4 ft of water, casting tube jigs and paddle tails. It always happens this time of year. It doesn't usually last that long but it is a great way to get some nice fish. Just got to find the food. It is not uncommon to get some walleye also when the crappies are up shallow this time of year.

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

Another fun pattern that seems common for this time of year is off of main lake humps and steep shoreline breaks in the late calm evenings.

2-5 feet down over 15-20 feet of water as the sun is setting produces active Crappies. Seems like the fish hold their vertical position in the water and just roam freely away from the structure to feed.

Seems a common pattern for August and early September, but only when the lake falls flat in the evening.

Anyone else experience a bite similiar to this?

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

I experienced exactly what you said regarding coming off main lake humps. Found them all over the main lake humps in the morning hours. Come evening, they seemed to school-up and swim away from the humps, very noticable on the electronics. If a person knows about this activity it is very easy to slow-troll around the humps and find the schools of slabs. Biggest slab last weekend was just over 2 pounds, came off the main lake humps in 13 feet of water during the morning hours. Had to slow troll around during the evening to find several schools of slabs. Great fishing when a person runs out of plastics and live bait!!!!!!!
CPR=Great future fishing.

Hey guys,
I noticed the same thing here. At dusk they seem to suspend over 10-15 ft of water, but earlier in the evening (8-8:30) they were found in 5-6 feet of water.
I'm have to admit, I usually don't fish in Sept and Oct (bow in hand). But I have 2 little girls that will keep me in the boat this fall. How do you guys fish the crapps during this time of year. What type of structure do they relate to?
What about fall turnover?
Thanks
1/4

Pre-Turnover, the Crappies are usually suspended on the shallow side of the thermocline off of bars, deep water points, and breaklines, over 15-25 feet of water on average. Jig casting, vertical jigging, and slip bobbering with plastics and feather jigs are all good ways to get Crappies during this period.

After turnover, look for the Crappies in the winter holes and basins. With the fish suspended typically, a slip bobber with 1/32 oz jigs tipped with small minnows or waxies perhaps, set up a couple feet above the top of the school, would be a good bet to get some action.

Vertical jigging can still be very effective, but with wind usually blowing during the fall time, and the fish being a little slower and fussy, the kids will be alot better off slip floating for their fish.

They'll be pretty easy to spot this time of year, as they typically clump in huge schools. Try throwing a marker off the edge of the school, anchoring, and casting to them.

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

[This message has been edited by united jigsticker (edited 08-22-2003).]