• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Gone fishing?

The activity here has taken a fall since the spring and early summer Crappie explosions.

Is anyone besides Tom and I fishing the Slabs anymore? Now is one of the better times for some excellent Crappie action.

Hey Tom, how's those new lures? YOu and Mike been out lately?

------------------
Good fishing,
UJ
[email protected]

UJ...I can't say for sure, but I think Mike and the Mrs. went away for a couple days...you nkow, hubby/wife time. I see he's posting again so I know he's at least breathing yet. The company from Spain and associated kids have kept us rather tied up here at home. I was told it was not the Martha Stewartly thing to do by going fishing when you have company, sooooooooooooo. Another week yet. Ma didn't make any off-colored comments about work though, so that has been my resolve. Go make money. What a trade-off. I've got plenty to do for the next ten days or so and then it is back to the cabin for a five-dayer and hopefully the salmon will still be around. Fishing around here has been just so-so lately. This can be the toughest study right now, fish-wise. The lake I normally fish is extremely clear right now and the fish are deep during the day, but the bite has continued for those willing to brave the buglife during the early/ late fishing. From what I understand the fish are coming to those who are deep jigging or slowly dragging a deep jig around. I have every intention of trying the lake on Friday...company off visiting other family and I haven't scheduled any work for the day. It will probably rain Thursday about four inches and the deliver a severe cold front at about 4AM Friday morning with 38mph winds from the north, which incidently, would be the only positive thing for the day. This is a tough time of the year for me to peel away and play. The cabin requires so much mowing attention and then there is the work thing .I try to get as much of that done during this period so I can play later...you know how it is don't you? Anyway, I have my reliable contacts that say the fish can be had, but there will be a cost and these back to back storms we are getting lately do not help much either. Friday my friend.Friday.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

Jigsticker!
Since you asked if anyone else is fishing . . .

On my trips lately in polk/burnett counties in Wisconsin, have been able to get the kids into crappies along with perch, sunnie, bass mix. Enough to keep them interested just dragging a powergrub on a jighead on the outside of the weeds. Most crappies are running 10 to 11 inches.

Went yesterday to a lake (in west central MN) we usually can get real nice crappies at and didn't catch as many as other years and they weren't as big, none over 10 1/2". But the large sunnies (8 1/2 to 9") were on and so were the bass. Had a 5 and 9 year old with me so it was a blast for them. Sunnies were both on the weed edges and on the deeper humps (20 feet). The kids could catch them dropping a waxworm or power grub straight down.

It's funny - you have to cast out away from the boat to have a chance at the crappies. The sunnies will hit with it straight down.

Thanks for your reports!

Sloopjoint...Both crappies and sunnies are upward hitting fish, but more so the crappies. The craps are more likely to see your boat than the sunnies because the eye placement is more suited to uphill focusing than sunnies. Crappies are also less comfortable directly under a boat, no matter how quiet you think you are being, and will readily move off to the side of the shadow of a boat. This is especially true in very clear water. Sunfish on the other hand are very friendly fish and get along well with people. Ever notice whats always around docks?...Sunfish? Sunnies are also shade lovers and will take to the shadow cast by a boat. Unless there is one heck of a chop on the water or you are fishing a very low-light period or the water is very dirty, look for the crappies to the side and away from the boat. One of my favorite tricks at this time of year is to fish visible wood that goes down deep into the water. I anchor if needed or use the electric for control, and cast to the wood at differnt levels until I find the fish. Often times you can cast for an hour to the same pile of wood and catch fish consistantly as long as you keep your shadow off from it.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster....good fishing guys!
[email protected]

Sloop, It could also be that the splash of the cork and the bait falling there after that is what attracted the crappie, or if no cork was used the slower fall due to the line drag got the crappies attention. As Tom said, the crappie is an upward feeding fish, even the physical features exploit that. The upward turned mouth is designed specificly for this. Notice when crappie bite, the line stops or your cork may even lay flat as they come up to take the bait. can it be luck?

Thanks for the comments guys! Good observations!

The other thing I was going to ask - are the power grubs being made softer than they used to be? Sometimes we'd only catch a couple of fish and the grub would be all torn up! They used to last for several fish. Good thing I had several packs with. It's cheaper to use live bait the way they tore them up! Of course the sunnies are a lot harder on them than the crappies are with how aggressive they are and their smaller mouths.

Boy were these bluegills gorgeous fish! All decked out in blue and dark copper on the bellies!