• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How close is too close?

deerminator

I've read a good spot to intercept deer can be on the edge of woods bordering standing corn as they'll feel safe there with cover on both sides and will feed along the path in between. I've found such a spot with good buck sign and put my trail cam up last week. I've also found a spot about 10 yards into the woods where there's a big rockpile and no trails coming out where i could put my haybale blind where I think it would look pretty natural. But it will only be about 10 yards from the blind to the corn so we're talking close shots. In never set up this close on the ground but I tried last year when the field was beans and had some deer up close and personal. All does early seaon before I moved to another spot.

I figure the key is getting the blind out there, letting them get used to it for a week or two and hunting the wind. Plus, I'm thinking it might be only a matter of weeks anyway before the corn is out and then I'm just on the picked field edge near trails coming out of the woods at about 20 yards on each side of me. Also, I'd consider hunting into the woods themselves (narly, thick brush and immature scraggly trees - no good for stands) but it's a sanctuary and bedding area from what I can tell (lots of deer highways and bedding depressions). I tromp around in there too much and I think they'll be loading up the moving van. Any thoughts appreciated. Good luck guys!

Sounds to me like you're going to put it right where you should. You don't have to let them get that close before you shoot if they're coming along the edge do you or will the shot angle be wrong prior to that? Under 10 yards is a lovely distance if you can get it, those shots are much tougher to miss & they sure can't jump the string at that range.

It's tough to draw on a deer that close when you're on the ground, even from a blind. Don't think that because you're inside a blind that they can't see you. They can. Be very, very carefull when you draw, don't make any unneccessary movements and it can be done. I prefer a minimum of 15 yards to the animal when I set my blinds.

Make sure to really brush that blind in and conceal the roof line. Any resident deer will know it's there. You'll be leaving a lot of ground scent behind, try to set it up and trim just prior or during a good rain. A windy day like yesterday would be preferred as well. Ground level at 10 yds is no picnic with whitetails. I wish you luck!

Thanks guys. I may set the blind there and give er a try. I'll basically have two very small rectangular windows open so I can take a shot dead on about 10 yards by the corn and before they get to the corn along a trail alongside of me 20 yards away. The rest will look like a big hay bale. I mainly use ground blinds and here is more of a typical set up at a pinch point between among two corn fields, a brushy bedding area and a wooded finger with a creek running through it.

The first photo is the view most deer would have per the various trails coming down the top of a hill. The second is the view they'd have about as close as I'd predict they'll get according to the trails and photos.

full-25796-12691-hilltop.jpg

full-25796-12692-downhill.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. There wasn't much to work with on the set I have pictured in terms of branches and stuff to brush in so I was pulling sa much grass as I could out and stuffing into the brush loops all around. I'll probably add some more the next time out but the good news is the resident deer should get used to it if I leave it there for awhile. It's an old farmstead in the brushy area with a house falling down and old equipment laying around so they get used to "objects."

Quote:
It's an old farmstead in the brushy area with a house falling down and old equipment laying around so they get used to "objects."

I missed a deer standing on the back of an old combine once. They pay zero attention to old farm implements - great places to setup.

"I missed a deer standing on the back of an old combine once. They pay zero attention to old farm implements - great places to setup."

What was the deer doing up there...

I'm sorry, I know what you meant, but the mental image was cracking me up.

I stalk and use the ground quite a bit, and have gotten quite a few opportunties from 10 yards or less.

From my experience, you really, really need to limit your time in that spot to the ideal conditions. First, not only do you have to play the wind, but you want the wind to be a little stronger and not have a lot of variability. That way your scent isn't swirling around.

Second, crappy weather works best. Light drizzle, and definitely an overcast, grey day. That will limit the chance of them seeing even a small amount of movement.

Also, is there anyway you could cut some visability lanes into their travel corridor? Not shooting lanes, but small lanes or line of site paths that you can see movement and come tro draw before they step out?

Back to the distance - one of the more memorable hunts I had was in a ground blind where two bucks came into a turnip food plot. The blind was 15 yards off the edge of the plot, and the deer actually worked the edge of the area and literally came within 3 feet of my blind browsing. I could have, and I am not kidding, pocked them in the butt. I don't think I EVER stood that still for that long. Sphincter didn't loosen up for a month. smile

Still don't know how I didn't get busted, but the wind must have been totally perfect. I can't remember the wind, but I do remember it was a cloudy, kind of drab evening.

Good luck to you. Looks fun if nothing else.