• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How do I know if there are Pans in my pond??

My rents just bought a house in forest lake. Across the street there is about a 10acre pond give or take alittle. I was wondering the pond is MAX of 13 feet deep with muddy shores. How can I find out if there are fish in there. The guy we baught the house from say his kids fished it, and have caught fish. But I don't wanna be waisting my time. Any way to tell???

I would say the best way to tell is to cast a bobber and a worm into the lake. Or wait to see if anybody else fishes it and what they catch if they do. 13 feet is boarder line for freeze out, but that would not be an issue if it is aerated.

Bushwacker read my mind. The good ol' nightcrawler is a pretty good indicator for panfish. Otherwise if the water is clear enough, walk around and scan the shallows. You may be able to catch a glimpse of some smaller bluegill or baby bass swimming around.

Bushwacker read my mind too! It is well worth the effort to go out and give it a shot. Who knows maybe it is loaded with slabs, lots of lakes that are winterkill prone like that are known for kicking out the slabs. Especially when there have been a few mild winters like we have had!
><>deadeye

[This message has been edited by deadeye (edited 05-05-2003).]

Thanks guys. I went up to see how the people are doing on getting the animals and stuff out. Well I took a walk down to the pond and sunnies scattered everywhere. So that answers my question about the fish. Now I am just gonna try and catch some when I move in. they should be bigger by then.