• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

franchi shotgun

I really like the Benelli monte, but I don't use it as much as I like too right now. So last night I bought a Franchi 720. I've never bought a gun this expensive before and I hope it is my first and last time buying a gun. Can't believe how expensive it is, but I like the feel and look of it. I'm planning on going out next weekend to shoot some clay. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Its made by Benelli, so for the price, I'm sure it'll be just as good. As long as it takes down birds.

I've never had a brand new gun before. The sales guy said to break it in or something and shoot good bullets through it instead of the cheap target shells. Is that true? or what is the process? I want to do it right the first time and not regret anything later because I messed up. I shoot federal shells most of the time, winchester sometimes if I can't find the shot size I need.

The manual says that its gas-operated, the HSOforum says its gas-operate. When I took it apart, it showed no signs of gas-operated like the Berreta I saw at the store. The manual isn't really good either. Its telling me to look at figure 1, but there is no figure one in the manual or there is no other book to reference it too.

Something different with this one is that you have to change this tube thing inside from light to heavy depending on the type of shell your shooting. If its heavy or light to allow the right amount of pressure to push the shell out of the gun. I read something like that in the manual.

If it is gas-operated, I have no idea of how to clean it. I looked on youtube for info, but nothing seemed to help. I found other videos of how to take the Franchi guns apart, but nothing informative on how to clean their guns.

That tube thing, is probably the piston for your gas operation system. It fits under a sleeve from the barrel. There will be two gas ports coming from the barrel in to the gas chamber, that and a spring help cycle the shotgun.

To break your gun in, most companies want you to clean your gun first.

True story, I bought a mossberg SA-20 this summer, never cleaned it very good when I bought it. took it to the trap range and 2 of the first 5 shots went off when I closed the bolt. The firing pin was sticking, so closing the bolt would set the shell off.

2nd, when they say break it in, is to probably shoot some heavier loads through it. Don't go out and buy ultralight loads and expect it to cycle right away. I know on one of the berettas, you have to shoot about 100 rounds of heavy trap load before it will take any light loads.

Also, to clean it,

It is relative easy, the piston and ports are the main problems with gas systems. You need to make sure the ports that go into the barrel don't get plugged (rarely do). I usually just run a pipe cleaner through them. And the take a small screw driver and scrape away all the carbon from the piston, and then soak it in parts cleaner for a couple of hours. Scrub it down, maybe use a little steel wool, and your done. I only do that once a year after I'm done hunting, aside from that, I just oil and wipe down. I only do a real thorough cleaning once a year.

You could call Franchi and have them email you the manual in .pdf format. It might be the exact same one you have, but it might be updated.

You might also want to ask them for a .pdf of the parts schematic, which will tell you how things go back together if you can't remember. Basically, it's just an exploded drawing of all the parts (and part numbers) in the gun. If you ever need to order a part, it will be really helpful.

When we got it home, my husband cleaned it like he does the other guns. I don't know how good it has to be cleaned. He has never owned a gas-operated gun so he has no clue on how to clean them. oh my, I have so many questions.

How many rounds should I shoot through the gun before its good to go?

Do I have to lube anything? oil?

This seems harder than it is.

What are the heavy loads? Will it say heavy loads on the box or does it go by the ounce size?

I won't say anything about the break-in period because I don't want to give you incorrect information.

After you clean the gun, a light oiling on all the moving parts is usually a good thing.

I think heavy loads would be a heavier shot weight hunting/ field load, as opposed to the light-recoil target or trap loads. And make sure that the reversable piston is set up for the heavy loads when you're shooting the heavy loads.

Remain calm. You don't have to "break in" your shotgun. Shoot it for practice if you wish, mix the loads you shoot and become familiar with the shotgun. The Franchi name has been around for more than 100 years, way before they were bought up in recent years. They have been making a marvelous semi-auto, especially in 20-gauge for at least 75 years. They were always top line shotguns but now are marketed as a "lower level" Benneli.

Your Franchi is a wonderful and dependable shotgun. You don't have to treat it like a carton of eggs-it's solid. Shoot the heck out of it. Keep it clean. Be happy. Relax.

So heavy loads are the ones used for hunting and light loads are just target shells?

I read that shooting light loads under the heavy setting was a problem for the 2 3/4 inch shells. so this means that everytime i'm going to shoot a light load I'll have to switch it. In the manual, it says you can't shoot heavy loads under the light load setting. The manual stinks, theres like 10 pages of english and everything else is jibbeerish. I'll have to call them and send me a detail sketch of everything like TooTallTom said.

I have a Franchi Griffone 12g I picked up about 5 years ago and love it. Very light weight and a great fit and finish. As mentioned above, light load 2 3/4 shells may not cycle through it well until you get it broken in. Just shoot it.

Franchi makes some very nice, expensive shotguns (go look @ their World Class line on their HSOforum). If anything they are midrange, with Stoeger being the economical brand. I just don't think they push the brand very hard in the US, so they don't cannibalize sales from Benneli and Berreta, which are more established here.

Klee: Do you have anybody helping you with your entry into shooting? There are many basic things you NEED to learn, such as various shotgun loads etc. and the basic care and feeding of a shotgun. Is there a trap club or sporting clays course near you (see phonebook)? There are folks at those places that can help you become more comfortable with shotguns and shooting.

Be patient. Be careful.

You're going to have a lot of fun!!

I hope I didn't put you into a panic with my posts.

Step one, Clean gun throughly, take out the bolt, trigger assembly, etc... spray with gun scrubber, and then lightly oil and put back together. Now why should you do this. #1, brand new guns ship with a very heavy oil and can crud things up. #2, it will help you become more familiar with your shotgun. If you have never done this before find someone that you know has experience with gas operated semi autos and have them help you. Don't do it on your own if you feel that you are not confident that you will get it back together properly. Get someone to help you.

The light/heavy load piston is nothing new. Browning A5's had that for many years. It is not a big deal at all. For the majority of your shooting, you will have it on the light load setting when shooting 2 3/4 inch shells. You should become familiar with the difference though. Most of your trap shells are going to be considered light loads. Some small game loads will be considered light loads. Many times on the box they will say things like magnum shot shells or heavy game load, for those switch the piston to heavy. If you are truly worried about a specific load, I would put the piston to heavy loads and see if it cycles the shell, if not, switch to light load.

There really is nothing to "breaking" a gun in. Many manufacturers just want you to shoot some heavier loads through your gun to loosen things up so the function better. New guns can be stiff and shooting heavier loads, forces them to loosen up.

Again, if you don't feel comfortable taking the gun apart, you should find someone that can help you. If you were in my area, I would love to help you out. I know the books can be very frustrating, I was not impressed with the manual for my last new gun, and I love their guns. I also clean guns for a few of my friends and family. I just like taking them apart and putting them back together. Once you get the hang of taking apart a gas operated semi-auto, they are a piece of cake.

Ufatz, I've been shooting for three years now. Nobody has every shown me how to aim at birds or targets. The other day, I just found out I wasn't suppose to close one eye when shooting birds. Now that explains why I've missed a few this year. Now I have to get use to shooting with both eyes open. I think a lot of my shooting is just luck when I can bring down a bird. I did take a firearm safety class. Two weeks from now I'll be attending a women only shooting clinic, so hopefully I can learn a lot from there that I couldn't on my own. I kinda learn stuff on my own and read a lot about the subject.

Trigger, I don't know anybody that owns a gas-operated gun. Its a first in the family. I guess I'll just have to ask the gunsmith when I take it in to have stock fitted.

The heavy loads are 3 inch, and light is 2 3/4 it sounds like plus the shot size.

Its your first, but probably won't be your last. I'm sure that your going to really like it. Just become familiar with it. You really should know how to break it down completely to be able to clean it to ensure that it keeps functioning properly. Two main things cause a semi auto to not function properly, dirt and lack of lubrication.

Good luck, let us know how you do.

Well, the gun didn't get shot. I had to return it today. It didn't fit correctly. Before I bought it I asked the sales guy if I could have it fitted because it was wood, it could be cut. So I bought it and today I brought it in to the gunsmith and he said he couldn't do it. The way Franchi has their stock cut wasn't going to work out. He said if he cut it, the wood was too thin and it would chip. So long story short, I returned it and got a Berreta AL 391 Urika 2 20ga. I wanted a 26 inch barrel, but it doesn't come in this youth size. I ended up getting the 24 inch. Its not so heavy and looks nice but way more expensive than the Franchi. Hopefully I'll get to take it to the range this weekend and test it out. I'm just scared because the buttplate is plastic and not rubber, but since its a gas-operated, the guy said it won't hurt as much.

Wow, I have 3 berettas, you will love them, I think you went up in gun from the franchi to the Urika. The reason there isn't a soft pad on the end is that there doesn't need to be. The Urika is a great gun and I would consider it a premium field shotgun. You will be able to shoot that for a long time and as a plus, if you take care of it, it will hold its value very well. I can definitely give you pointers on taking apart a Beretta if you would like. They are pretty easy to clean and take a part.

BTW. If the recoil does bother you for some reason, beretta makes a gel recoil pad that I think you would like, however, it will make the gun considerably longer.

Trigger, i will definitely be asking you questions about this gun as soon as i start shooting it. I will let you know how it goes and how to clean it. I wanted a benelli but they didnt have what i wanted in stock. I didnt care for a berretta. But i let the sales guy show me some stuff and i was convince that it"ll be better than the franchi. Hopefully i"ll get to shoot it this weekend.