• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie Explosion

I feel one coming on. I've fished from shore most days for the last two plus weeks and have really only gotten into anything once and that was mediocre. Most of my problem is that I have just moved from Brooklyn Park up to Platte/Sullivan Lake (Crow Wing/Morrison Cty) and the spots with shore access on these and the surrounding lakes may never be conducive to Crappies let alone fish during and just after ice out.

The only lakes I've got them in so far are a couple of standbyes in the cities. One was having extreme low water issues at the time, I thought the lake was going to winter kill but was pleasantly surprized that it hasn't. Had the water been normal or where it is now I would have smucked em. At the other metro lake I waited to long to get there and the wind picked up and came in from a direction which wrecked the shore spots.

But I see a break in the clouds and it's not gonna matter if I fish by land, sea, or even blow up that float tube or bring out the "Slop Slip." Whacking and Stacking is going to commence starting very soon. Maybe today. I can just feel a one hundred fish released day comming on (and if I get em the right size 10 will be on a first name basis with the Pan.)

Update coming soon.

[This message has been edited by Basspastor (edited 04-23-2003).]

What you have described sounds very primal, if not chronic and will probably not respond to any kind of therapy other than about three or four weeks of a strong crappie bite. I hope you can find it as I am also sure that friends and family members would enjoy seeing you return to normal. Good luck!! Crapster

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait

I made a few visits today and the crappies and gills are exploding. I was really suprised how few people were out there enjoying the fun. This high water is the best. All that flooded timber, trees etc., perfect cover. The panfish are just starting to move in, get out there and enjoy it. Of course, think REAl shallow!

------------------
Mille Lacs Guide Service
www.millelacsguideservice.com

The wife and I have been out a few times and have found the crappies in 15-17 feet and the gills in 10-12. A little sluggish yet with the cooler temps but this week sounds good. To bad I have to go plant corn the rest of the week and then its Big Stone opener. Will have a conflict if the pannys start hitting good(walleyes or crappies).

Unfortunatly the plan didn't quite work out which was to be on the water between 1-2 and fish the day away. Instead I putzed around and had some other chores that needed done and the next thing you know it's 6:30. Got on the lake about 7:10 with the "Slop Slip" minus the trolling motor and an anchor, so I was basically canoeing.

Smacked a nice Crappie right away, but do to the wind and current in this location and the fact that I forgot to pack bouy's. I had a hard time of it. It's hard to set the hook when your paddling and really hard to keep on the break with wind and current against you. Ended up only getting two more small ones. But tommorrow is a new day and I'll be at my secret spot in the NW metro.

The fuse is lit...

Scott,

You said "high water?" Wholly smokes, just about an hour north of you, we've got some of the lowest water I've seen in the last ten years. No crappies in flooded brush up here this year! See ya.

I fished all day yesterday, and found the water levels to be about normal. I didn't notice much flooding or high water anywhere.
The surface temp was 49, the crappies were not real shallow yet, still holding at 5-6' deep. It may take a few more days till they come real shallow.

So as for what is now yesterday (4/24), maybe not an explosion yet but progress. I had to go to the cities for a doctors appointment and that allowed me an after noon and evening of fishing my secret honey hole shore fishing spot.

I think I got a bite on the first cast, but it was no crappie; Carp, then a yellow bullhead, then a hamerhandle, and then finally a keeper size Crip. I also caught bluegills, a Red Ear Sunny and largemouth along with 20 or so Crips; 9 of which are now filleted with 1 bluegill. I think only 3 of the crappies I caught today were smaller than 9" and none were smaller than 8". Three were over 11"; Maybe I didn't get the quantity I wanted but the quality was good.

I think today will be the last time I get there this spring. Hopefully word will not get out next year either and I will have it all to myself yet again.

Today Rush and ...
Saturday Pokegema and Cross
Sunday where ever was hot on Sat.

Hey Basspastor, do any good on pokegama or cross? I'm going to try farm island on monday. I tried last week but the water was too cold. Well have to hook up this june on the big pond for some big smallies.

------------------
Shut up and fish!

Pokegema and Cross were a bust as were Quamba and Knife. We got fish at Rush Lake but they were mostly smaller sized. The biggest was a platry 9.5" We did get a few nice gills on Rush and some lake just south of there who's name escapes me.

I don't know if I am going to have a Crappie Explosion. It seems to be fizzeling and I am unsure if my local lakes have big time potential.

Was back at it for a few hours 5/1. A case of following the signs lead me to a decent catch at my North West metro honey hole.

The water is now dropping and so I figured the fish were moving from the end of the shallow bay back towards the main body. So I hit the hiking trail. Sure enough I found some medium to small fish hanging off the ends of fallen trees about half way back. I knew of some more fallen trees even closer to the main body that are a pain to get to and to fish from shore. I went anyway and was rewarded with some real slabs, two of which were Whites which I didn't know were in this lake. All of these beauties went back. Hopefully next year they will be approaching a 1.5 to 2lbs.

I feel sorry for any minnow that goes near that area, these fish were absolutely voracious. Several inhaled the plastic so deep as to make me have to use the pliers.

Now this was fun.