• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

.Cold Wheel House

IceHawk11

i bought a 2010 Ice Castle Trophy Hunter last year... Used it plenty up at Lake of the Woods last year. It is a 8x16 with the bay window in the back. My only issue is the heater. On days colder than 10 degrees it didnt seem to keep up very well. Wondering if anyone else has this problem and if anyone has put a second heater in the back. Any help would be great. Thanks

sleeves seem to help us, They really help with holes freezing up. I do not have spray foam on my floor. I also pile some pillows by the bay window at night to keep the chill out. I do bring my infared heater to plug in if it gets to cold, also doubles as a good seat with wheels! What size furnace did they put in yours?

Here is what I would do, in order:

1) Make sure your regulator (and tanks) aren't freezing up. I had some troubles with my 20# tanks when it was real cold. I'll be changing to 30's.

2) Spray foam your floor. This will make a big difference.

3) Hole sleeves will cut down on any drafts and take your "ice cube foot print" from 8'x16' to about 1 sq. ft. per hole.

4) If all of the above don't cut it, then take a look at adding a 2nd heater.

full-17729-12334-window.jpg

I would look into getting some insulated window covers from canvas craft. These alone keep a lot of cold out of the house, especially at night. I have them on all of my windows and around the back utility door as well.

Another option I have is I put a second gas line in the closet with a separate valve that T's into the main gas line. When the temps get down to -10 or below when I know my 30lb ers are going to freeze up. I will switch the valve over to my 20lb inside the house over night so it stays warm. Then change back in the AM again. I know, some say it may not be safe, but i have not had any issues and it is only running for about 8 hours and then it is shut off again.

The wheel wells are another weaker area that can let cold air in, I have an insulated snap on cover to go over the wheel well on the outside also which keeps the wind from getting thru.

I really dont think you need a second heater, you are either not getting the gas flow from the tank you have or the tank is not big enough or the regulator you have is not working properly.

If you have your house banked properly, then there should be no need to hole sleeves either IMO.

What BTU heater do you have?

Those insulated window covers look like a great idea. How much did they cost? Does light show through them at all?

Honestly I don't remember the exact cost, but I got 2 of the size in the picture, 1 that is 2' x 3' and 1 for the back utility door that is 68" w x 78" tall plus a non insulated one for over the wheel well outside that covers a tandem axle space. They cut and installed them for under $300 and they are all snap on's. This was about a year and a half ago.

I am still thinking about getting a cover for the inside of my walk in door for at night too, but haven't pulled the plug on that one yet. The door has some small air leaks and it frosts up over night. The cover would help prevent some of that too.

This may not be an option for you, but may help others. The 2nd to last fish house I built had the same problem. The guy on the heater side of the house was toasty while the guy at the opposite end was chilled. I decided that there was a better way so for my last house, an 8X16 (plus 3' v) I put the furnace in the side seat/bed and ducted it back, front and to the side. Even heat and everyone was happy. It worked great! Hopefully the picture works.... heater.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. The window covers look like a great idea too. Anyone know of a good place to get a price on spray foaming the floor? Or a do it yourself kit. I think if i got a window cover for the back bay window would help a lot on the windy days..