• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When to start on Crappies

This is my first spring in Minnesota and I know nothing about your spring crappie fishing. The lake near my house (Bush in Bloomington) has a ton of open water but I don't see any one fishing. When does it get going. I'm looking to get out and fish the shallow water from shore. Thanks.

Its usually about 2 weeks after the ice is completely off the lake when the crappies will start coming into the shallows. If you get out too early you often wont get anything, or a few sunfish. If your in a boat once the lake opens you can usually find the fish in slightly deeper water near the areas they tend to spawn in.

Each lake is different. Look for shallow murky lakes that tend to ice out early and warm quickly for your best odds of success early. These are can include channels and lagoons.

I begin fishing crappies as soon as I can find enough open water to shorecast or get my boat in the water. By targeting the deepest water in the area you intend to fish that is adjecent to shallower bay-like areas, you will cut down on your hunting time. If you are in a boat with electronics, you can scout this water to find the depth that the fish are at and begin there. What they are going to prefer for bait may be a challenge, but a hint here is that if the water temperature is UNDER 46 degrees, use whatever was working for ice fishing. Between 46 and 52 degrees I fish 1" twisters and at 52 degrees I get real serious with the tubes. No bait of any kind after 46 degrees for me. Crapster

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait

Skeets...what kind of water is your favorite gator hole? The lake I primarily fish is stained water and the secci line goes up and down as fast as the barometer this time of year. Actually I fish an impoundment. Today the water temp started off at 42 and in three hours we were looking at 45 degrees and the fish showed a strong liking for both powerbait twisters and exude twisters..both brands 1" and had to have a waxie. The fish came at four feet from 13 foot of water on a point and tight to submerged wood. So tight that we made a major contribution of jigs to it. I know that you are not from this area and I am interested in how the fish act in clear water, free of ice ,but still a very cool temp to the water. Thought maybe you could help here. For the heck of it I dunked a favorite tube, but to no avail. We are supposed to have another stellar day tomorrow and I am fishing again, just wish we could add three or four degrees to the water. Any info you can share, drop a line to [email protected] Thanks Skeets.....Crapster

------------------

Hey Fellas,
I'd be interested to know what you guys expect current weather conditions to do to bays usually crappie-heavy this time of the year. For instance, I've found success from shore each year pulling crappies from a particular spot once the ice is off for about a week. But this year the weather keeps getting warm, then cooling off again, and the fish are yet to move in. How do crappies typically react to the cooling of temps once the water temp has warmed considerably?

Happy Fishin!
(ain't it always?)

Early in the year Crappies will move back out pretty easily. This is a fickle time for weather patterns.

If the nightime lows drop more then 10 degrees below water temps, or daytime highs fail to achieve at least water temps, expect the Crappies to take a hike.

However, I have caught Crappies while it was snowing in 2 feet of water, right up until the wind switched and the started to blow into the spot. So that takes the "rule book" and throws it right out the window.

I always will give a spot that has produced shallow Crappies a try after a cold front just to be sure that I am not chasing Crappies deeper aimlessly so to speak.

Some of the bays on Minnetonka have good reputations in the past of putting out shallow Crappies from shore even while there is a sheet of ice on the main lake, while some other lakes have nothing but deep water fish until water temps reach 50 degrees.

Good luck and Best Regards

U.J is right about the change in weather, temperature. These fish are very vertical fish right now...the primary movement is up and down in the water column, but do travel horizontally to bays nearby. When things go awry, like these revolving door fronts, don,t get too excited about a few birds in the shallow shoreline water. If you can use a boat or can reach the deep stuff from shore, downsize the bait and send it diving . That is where the fish are. Very, very, deep. Craster

Last spring, my #2 son and I canoed into a mud bottomed boat channel on Tonka, about the last week of April. As the sun got higher, all the Crappies crowded under one dock. There was only room for one of us to cast, so one would pitch a jig and minnow for 2 or 3 fish while the other handled the boat, and then we'd switch. They hit anything thrown at them, as long as it was in the shade of the dock. They would not come into the sunlight. There was also a few large Bass under that dock, as well as a really scary Musky that took a shot at a canoe paddle. I can't predict when they gather like that, you just have to keep trying till you find them. When you do, its all worth it.

Icehouse... I keep my canoe at the marina on the lake I fish and if they throw some wake restrictions on it ,no prob. Got it wired for the electric....just toss it on the transom, hook up the battery and go fishing. I can travel well into the one mile zone one-way and fish for perhaps five solid hours and still have enough battery to get back safely. And is it quiet! Really a great way to fish. Crapster

------------------