• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wind

Rippinlip

So here is another wind question.

I have several sets put out and they are very condusive to certain wind conditions, but they are not condusive for getting there in those "ideal" wind conditions.

We are very cautious on scent control.

Should I worry about the trip to the stand as much as the wind for the stand?

Thanks

For me I choose the stand with the wind in mind. Then I enter the stand from a direction that is well away from were I expect them to come out. Time in these stands has helped determine were that is. I find that if they cross your path you will alarm them alot of the time. What ever stage of alarm is determined how well I cover my tracks going in. I once read here that it is not always your scent but the interference with the soil you turn up that will alarm them of a predator in the area. That was some good info that I keep in mind when going in ever since I read that a few years back. You can cover your scent all day long but if your turning up soil,kicking rocks, or snapping corn or beans on your way in...They will smell that and go into one stage of alarm or another. Not saying they will freak out, but will get the sence that something is up. I think a vetran hunter knows what that look is. Lol Give them one more reason to think your there and there gone.

Short note, I go to my stand trying not to kick up new oders and go well away from a straight line in so not to spook deer out of there anticipated entry and leave new scent in the expected theater of action. Then from there it's keep the wind in my face so not to leave a trace. Hope that helps. Good luck, like the topic as it is key to beat that nose. Glad it's raining to wash that scent away. Tonight should be good as long as were not getting drenched.

Thanks so far,

We do wear rubber boots and really try to not disturb anything and like I stated; we really try to eliminate as much scent as possible.

I was trying to see if you other hunters worry more about the wind and how it affects the stand location or the trip into the location?

I try to consider both and have use alternate routes when possible, some places do not have much choice due to property lines and natural barriers, like rivers and extremely steep banks.

Think I will probably weigh more on the location than worry about the trip in as much.

Good hunting all

Like you I worry about both, but I certainly worry the most about the stand site itself. I'm not continuing to leave scent from where I was, other than my scent trail. I think it depends on where your scent trail is in proximity to where they're used to scent being.

This yard we hunt in WI they're used to people being in the yard obviously, but a few times I've crossed that yard in my rubber boots before light & when this doe gets where I've crossed she just gets all unnerved. She doesn't blow or bolt, she just doesn't want to go where that trail goes. There just isn't any way to go to our stand sites without crossing that yard. It's a challenging game we haven't won with any adult does at that property yet, but we keep coming back. We can get them within 50, but we can't seem to get them that last 20 yards no matter where we sit. Lots of entrance & exit points.

I am extremely cautious where the wind is blowing my scent and what entrace trail I take to my stand. Of course your scent can not blow into the area you expect the deer to come from but I also don't want to bump any deer on the way in or make much noise to alter any deer close by. I have walked way out of the way to get to my stand turning a 1/4 mile straight shot into a mile+ long hike. I am also careful not to touch any vegitation, at time this is impossible but every little bit helps.

I don't worry about the exit as much unless their are deer in the area, then I might sit a little longer or head out the back way not to spook them.

I also feel that the whole hunt with the wind in your face stuff is a bunch of bunk! Sure it might work when you have a pile of big bucks running around but for the rest of us you have to work a cross wind or some kind of angled wind to get on some decent bucks.