• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

trailer bunk replacement

cabin boy

If you cover it with carpet it should work. I just re-did my bunks this way. Mine is holding up well after 2 years.

I won't go into the details if the boat is aluminum and in contact with green treated. Just make sure to cover the wood entirely.

I'm sure others will have opinions.

i agree with chode, id use cedar and seal it with some spar varnish and it will last longer than the originals, id worry about the treated wood leaching into your aluminum through the carpet ,which will be wet,alot,maybe im paranoid,but better safe than sorry, price wise not much difference anyway,

mike.

If your bunks are still ok and the carpet is just worn, or you replace it with green treat- just a slab of on sale composite decking over the top of the bunks. You'll never have to replace the carpet again, no moisture, not freezing to the carpet in the winter, it slides on and off easier but still holds tight enough were you don't have to strap it down when you pull out unless it's REALLY steep.

I used green treated for mine. I just did them, of course I did it before I read any of this......what are the possible negative affects of green treated and aluminum boats???? I just figured green treated would hold up well getting wet often. I did cover with carpet.

When I put new bunks on my trailer I added snowmobile slides to the top of the bunks. this has made a real differance. Just put them groove side up and screw them down. I dont have to float the boat off now. Just remember to keep it hooked up until your in the water. I hope this helps. I will also keep your boat from having contact with the treated wood.

Another solution is to use wood/plastic composite deck 2by4's and rotting won't be an issue.On the side that contacts the hull countersink plastic strips of high impact plastic (so the hull doesn't get scratched from the screws) and your golden for years.I used some left over plastic I had from doing the bottom of a portable fish house.The plastic makes loading/unloading MUCH easier!Just make sure to keep your winch or safety chain on until your in the water!c63