• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Blind hunting and scent

harvey lee

For the past 13 years I have been guiding a handi capped archer for a Twist of Fate hunt in North Dakota.

Many times one of my biggest concerns is wind direction and scent control.

Last season and again this year, I have placed the blind in the woods for the entire year so the deer in the area would get very comfortable with it's location.

I do use corn as bait so these blind locations typically do have a fair group of deer that hit the area.

My biggest concern every year is with human scent as I am always in the blind with the hunter as they typically do need alot of help including taking the safety off and reloading if needed.

Last year I thought why not treat my deer blind like I have done in the past with bear bait areas.

I started to leave my t shirt in the blind when I bait or go to the blind so when the deer come to feed, they can get use to some of the human smell. It's tough to keep more than 2 blinds and bait piles going so there are times when we have to use a blind with a bad wind.

This seems to be helping as I had a doe and fawn walk into the bait last year within 15 yards of the blind and the deer were downwind of us and never smelled a thing and feed like nothing was wrong at all.

I also like to take a small pail of cow manure along so I can wipe some on the blind to help cover any other scent as they are very use to the cow manure.

Between the manure and my sweaty t shirts left in the blind, seems I can hunt the blinds with a very bad wind.

Next week I go to North Dakotas for the annual hunt in hopes of getting a buck or doe in range of my hunter.

last Monday I was up there to fill my bait pile and check the camera. What a suprise when I looked at the card. In 23 days I had 811 pictures from bucks to doe's to a very few fawns. Many pictures were of the same deer but they are hitting the area hard.

So, if you have an area with wind issues, try the t shirt in the blind if you are using one as it does seem to help long enough to take the shot.

Tom, interesting stuff! That's definitely not something I'd have ever considered.

On a related note, if you'd like, I could bring out the materials for building a second blind and we could put one on the N and one on the S side (or one E, one W) of the bait pile. That way, you'd always have a blind that's in good shape for any wind. Or for that matter, I can lend you my ground blind for the Twist of Fate hunt and you could set it up early on the opposite side of the pile so you'd be set with any wind direction. Just a thought.

Harvey, I like your ingenuity. I just ordered a straw blanket cover from an outfit in Georgia that is supposed to make my pop-up look like a giant square haybale. One of the benefits they claim is the blanket helps cover your scent with the natural straw smell. They also sell large hay bale blind kits for about $200 bucks that I might consider in the future and they make the same claim regarding scent. Depending on if hay bales would blend in, that might be an option too but you'd have to replace the covering ($70) every two years or so. Keep in mind I have nothing to do with those who sell it, just investigating for my own purposes and so thought I'd pass along. I also have not tested how well the cover scent quality of straw works but hope to soon!

Thanks for the offer Scoot. I have 2 double bull ground blinds I could use if needed.

I really like the other one you made that I am now using as it has so much room for the guys in their wheel chairs.

Might be a thought on making another out of the extra material at the ranch. I could always use another like the first one. They work great for this type of hunt.

I am a tick leary of putting up another blind this late in the game close to the bait pile. I have had very good luck with these ground blinds but I almost always try to have it up long in advance of the hunt for the deer to get use to it. This spot has good deer traffic and if push comes to shove, I will not hunt it with a real bad wind from the west. I am sure this spot is good for a deer and I will no way blow it getting to ansy unless I am foreced to due to bad weather.

Between my shirt and the manure and a little other cover scent and staying as fresh as a daisy before we go in, we should be able to get the job done evening number 1.

Yes, this hunt is super cool and you're to be commneded for offering your time to it, Tom!

If you decide to put another blind together let me know- I'd be happy to help and I definitely learned a few do's and don'ts from doing the first one. My next one would be considerably better than the first one...