• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ice saws???

B-man715

Hey guys,

I've been trying to think outside of the box on ice saws.

From what I've read the ice toys saws are the ticket for a hand powered saw.

I've just started to brain storm on a powered ice saw. Does anybody manufacture one?

If not, I think a reciprocating saw with a long blade with teeth close together could work????? Like antique ice saws, or a logging saw with high tpi.

The ice toy saw's teeth are obviously too far apart for this idea to work.

Anybody ever try something like this??

And before all of the sparkys chime in I know it can be dangerous mixing electricity and water..........just like mixing a cake or can of paint or blending a margarita.......

I would use a double insulated sawzall and a gfi.

I do not believe anyone manufactures one.

I like your line of thinking on this as far as there has to be a better way. I have often tried to think of something like you are explaining but have came up with nothing.

The first thing that comes to me is that it may splash alot of water around unless the speed of it was fairly slow. At that point would it be mush less work than a handsaw? I am in no way knocking your idea just throwing out some thoughts.

I know some guys like chainsaws. I tried it and all I got was wet.

This could be a fun thread.

Yeah, I know its kind of a dumb idea that won't work, but there has to be a better way smile all of the videos I have seen for hand saws show guys cutting through 3", I can't imagine how long it must take to cut through 3 feet????

I may pick up a cheap saw blade and give it a whirl for $hits and giggles wink then I can say at least I tried smile

For attaching it to the sawzall I will simply bolt the saw blade to a long sawzall blade and tack into place if necessary...

No harm in trying.

The hand saws actually aren't to bad even in thick ice. Toughest part with the thick ice is getting the blocks out. To big to pull out with the tongs in one chunk and alot of chips to get out when you bust it up.

Hang out with the guys I spear with and you will get alot of practice sawing holes if you know what I mean. laugh

Well guys.....................

All I could think about today at work was a powered saw.

I stopped and bought a regular wood hand saw and basically bolted it to a sawzall blade.

Before doing so, I tried it out with hand power on an ice block from the store. It definetly cut the ice, but not with any speed.

Next I tried the powered version...................................................................................................................................................................Let's just say if a guy started cutting a hole in January it might be done before spring!!!!!!! LOL

Ice is a whole diferent critter than wood or metal. The designer of the Ice Toy saw has it figured out. Long strokes with huge teeth.

The small teeth of the wood saw combined with the short strokes of a sawzall would work fine on wood, but plug to easily with ice.

I wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel, just wanted to put a motor on it smile

Well I can at least say I tried..............

Now I just gotta find a GIANT sawzall to hook on the end of an Ice Toy SAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wasn't trying to re-invent the wheel, just wanted to put a motor on it smile

Well I can at least say I tried..............

Now I just gotta find a GIANT sawzall to hook on the end of an Ice Toy SAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we all have at one time or another thought of a way to try and power up some sort of ice saw.. heck I even seen drawings for them type of redneck powered up saws wink thanks you know who you are grinsee ya on the ice

until then I'll stick with my Ice Toys Saw

a chain saw makes a very smooth, shiney hole. like a mirror. the old timers tell me you dont want that. makes fish sit outside of the hole.

i have used a chisel to rough up the side of the hole when the ice gets thick.

you have to have a really big chain saw too. the one dad has works but it boggs down alot. whem you cut a hole with a chain saw: if theres 24" of ice cut the first 20" first then finish the last 4". if you go all the way through it takes alot more power to move all that water.

we also took the bar oil pump out insted of just running the oil tank dry. never get a skim of oil on the hole.

grind the rakers off on the chain. not all the way but more than half.

if you set the saw down for a second the chain will freeze to the bar.

its not that i dont like using the chain saw its less of a mess, dont have to have gas, and less to worry about with a hand saw.