• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Panfish colors?

Renneberg

Renneberg,

You read my mind and beat me to this post. LOL
Crappies: pink/glow or green/glow
Gills: green/chartruse, orange, blue

Brian

winter crappie - white/yellow (i refuse to use the word "chartreuse")

winter sunfish- lead

summer sunfish - color doesnt matter, but for shallow sunfish i like baits that have a lot of vibration and flash, like little spoons, spinners etc. (It's funny but it June and July I always catch some nice sunfish while bass fishing with a 6 inch stickbait.) For fish off the weedlines I use livebait, and I don't think color matters whatsoever.

Summer crappies- I don't think color matters. Live bait or slow moving vibrating baits. For fake bait, I guess my favorite color is chrome.

Perch- I don't fish for the bait robbing pests.

[This message has been edited by jwilli7122 (edited 03-01-2003).]

Crappie: pink/ silk chartreuse
Gills: red or Gold
Perch: orange/chartreuse or Gold

------------------
"I may not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"

I make/paint my own jigs, i'd say contrast works best, also I think having eyes on a jig helps, I think I'll be trying some of the suggestions

Crappies, white with pink or orange strips
sunfish, brown & orange
perch, white

In open water where I fish, everything is stained. The best colors for the crappies I have found are purple glitter/ chartruese and blue glitter/ chartruese...both in 1 1/2 inch tubes. And as far as eyes on jigs?... walleye jigs have eyes for the fisherman buying the head, but you need to have them on pannie heads- that from a custom jig maker. Crapster

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait

Panfish colors are just one of the issues discussed in Wayne Eller book "CRAPPIE FISHING Secrets and Tips of a Game Warden. Definately worth the read...Should be able to find it at the library..Not sure if you can still pick it up.
Great tips on jig making etc.

Crappies
Pink/yellow 1/32oz marabou; soft plastic
black/black ' " " "
1 1/2 " in lengh

Sunnies
Pink/black 1/64" 3/4" long
Pink/yellow " "

His observations are that lengh is the most important factor

Great read if you can find it. Second Chance

------------------
><> Enjoy each day. ><> CONSIDER ORGAN DONATION ><> S.C.

For Crappies in the early season I like anything Chartreuse the smaller the better.
Later in the season anything that reasembles a crappie minnow or a small leach.
For Sunnies anything they can fit in their mouth is the right color.

even though own an arsenal of a bazillion colors of jigs (hair- feathers-plastics)...I invariably go back to the black-brown -grey or white color patterns provided by nature through the eons of time when fishing my assortment of jigs and plastics...black and white being the favorites...sure there may be an infantismal amount of other colors on some of natures bugs (reds- blues- greens ...but in general ole "Ma Nature" chose the blacks browns and whites for her "bug world" (or a variation of shades mixed in)....wonder why?...lol...even below the water(and earth) such as a leech(black)...night crawler (brown)...it chose the same "darker" patterns yes ........."silver" is thrown in for that little extra "attractant"(minnows)...bottom line from what I've seen is when the crappies are in a feeding frenzy ..."movement" is more important then color.......anything that's big enough to fit in there mouth's is considered food......color doesn't seem to matter...hence...one here's a fisherman say....."pink is the color"...."gee' ..."chartreuse is the color"....or"red is the color"...usually on those kind of days ...."any " color is the color....lol...just a thought......jon

Sixmile...Since water clarity/conditions are not a universal thing, color tends to be a specific factor to each lake/ river. Everyone seems to have his own "go to" color when dealing with panfishermen. In the lake I fish chartreuse is a must in any color combination. Fish are color blind so any reaction to a specific color is a reaction to the suble shades of white , black and grays as perceived by the fish in that body of water. The action ,too, is another factor. Another direction one can take is profile. Look at how effective these "nail type" bodies are at different times. You really cannot call what they offer an action, but more of a subtle presence and I think they appear as a bug form that the fish may be feeding on. These lure bodies are available in colors as diverse as tubes and twisters, almost none of which are in Mother Nature's scheme of things. To be consistantly successful, we have to look at a much bigger picture than just color or body type....got to look at many things and most people miss that point. Good topic here, Sixmile.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster

ya ....i here ya crappie tom ...interesting subject... tough trying to fool mother nature but we humans will always try....if i knew the "right " color of that one specific "catch all" jig that would "kill the crappies"....i'd be a millionaire.......lol.....guess it's kinda fun just trying out what will work that specific day.....knowing that you "figured em out".......jon

Sixmile...That is why they call it fishing. Otherwise it would be catching. And you gotta be doin the former before you can do the latter. Stop and think about this a sec...aren't these fish much like our female counterparts? Just when you think you have the ultimate answer to all of it , they go and mess it all up again.

------------------
Sure life happens- why wait....The Crapster

quote:

...aren't these fish much like our female counterparts?

Let's see..

We spend too much on accessories? Check!

When your friends say they found a great spot to go catch one, it doesn't work? Check!

The real keepers are few and far between? Check!

I could go on and on...