• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

crappies without a vex

Lunker

I dont really fish much for crappies becuase i dont have a vex. Im wondering if any body has any advice for an electronically handicapped fisherman.
thanks
catch the big ones(then throw em back)

Lunker, find a contour map of the lake you are fishing. Look for a deep drop or ask someone where they fish crappies on that lake. Crappies tend to "hole up" in the same spots year after year. When you find a spot. Set a dead stick rod with a bobber 2 ft off the bottom. Use your other rod to try different depths. As it gets darker continue to try farther off the bottom. When you get a fish, make a not of roughly the depth you got the fish.

Hey Scott That is almost the exact technique I used before I went "electronic". The only thing I would add to that is I would put a slip bobber knot but no bobber on the line about 2' to 3' above my jig. Then when I caught a fish I would hand haul him in, and when lowering the jig back down I would slide the knot up to where it meets the water. That way I could always know how much line to let out, to get back to the fish zone again. After that I'd just reel the fish in then drop back down to where the knot touched the water.
Good Luck, Lucky

I used to fish a lot for crappies and sunnies the old fasioned way and thought I was doing just fine. That is until I baught my vex. Knowing what I know now you will never see me on the lake without it.

I know where you are coming from it's a lot of money to fork out, but I assure you it's worth it.

It will change youre way of fishing overnight.

I agree 100%. Electronics are an extrememly helpful tool.

They are expensive though, and not everyone's budget has an allowance for them.

Scott and Lucky's tactics for fishing "blind" as I call it now, are very efficient ways of finding and catching Crappies when you're not so fortunate to have a unit to tell you what depth, or even if the fish are there.

It's mainly about finding high percentage areas, and working the water column until you hit the motherload.

Good luck.

Fish On! Fish Off! ::Guzzle:: cool.gif