• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you pay sales tax on a private party boat from out of state?

MuskieJunkie

Yes the trailer is the only thing you'll pay sales tax on when you purchase a boat from a private party.

The motor, sonars, trolling motors are all tax free. What I did was made up a seperate bill of sale for the trailer and boat. Value the trailer for a reasonable amount. I did $500 for a single axel 3100 lb trailer.

The DNR will charge you a license transfer fee and an invasive species fee.

And, depending on the size of the boat some states will title the boat and the trailer. MN titles the trailers and only titles the boat if it has a lien.

Make sure you get the title signed over if it has one.

From the MN DNR HSOforum on Registering Your Watercraft.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/watercraft/index.html

Quote:
When you register your boat for the first time, know its length, manufacturer, type of hull material (wood, metal, or plastic), type of propulsion, model, year, serial or hull identification number (HIN) and have a sales receipt that shows you have paid the sales tax.

You will find a "Sales Tax Due" line on the Registration Application Form where the Sales Tax will be added to your registration fees if you can not prove you paid sales tax to the seller.

My wife works at a license center. There is no sales tax in MN on a used boat purchased from a private party no matter what state the boat is bought. You will only pay a transfer fee and registration fee on the boat.

From the MN DNR HSOforum on Registering Your Watercraft.

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/licenses/watercraft/index.html

For the first time means a new boat. If registered in another state tax is only on trailer which is usually worth very little.

I bought a new boat out of state and found you pay sales tax on trailer and boat but not on the motor. Dam that 150 merc cost alot.