• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Crappie hookset

mkkoob

This being my first official year of ice fishing, I've come across quite the problem. The problem isn't finding crappies and catching them, it's 'keeping them' long enough to pull them through the hole. For example, yesterday I had a very successful sunfish catch during the daylight hours. At dusk, the catch moved into crappies. I know this by the single crappie I did manage to retrieve. But then, as has happened three occasions before, I missed several very definite bites. A couple times I even had the crappie in sight at the hole and it would manage to release it's hold.
Please... What do I need to know to reel this fish in for real?

1st thing make sure the hooks are SHARP!!! Quite often the hook is in the bony area. I read once that when you see the bite either with a bobber or rod tip a crappie has had it for a while, set the hook as soon as you see the bite and the hook seems to wind up in a better position. Try a slight hook set but mostly just start to reel. Use an UL rod that has plenty of give. The toughest thing is to not reel so fast that you horse the fish and rip a lip nor do you want to overplay the fish and allow a chance for slack. Lastly try to open up the gap of the hook a bit if using a real small jig or go to a larger jig.

I use a moderate to fairly stiff hookset. I also bend the hook out a little bit so it "snags" in their mouth better.

Also, try treble hook jigging spoons. They work dynamite for Crappies.

PCG

Thank you for the tips. I will definately try them tomorrow. Today after I posted, I went out to the lake and 'landed' a few sunfish and managaged to miss everything that bit at dusk. I missed several very good bites. Equiped with this new information perhaps I can improve my chances. Thanks again.

I usually never even detect a bite when I set the hook.

I just wait for the signals to line up on the Vex and then WHAM...I put it to em'.

I should mention though that if you are fishing with minnows this will not work.

The best time to see how a Crappie actually sucks a bait in is in the springtime when they are up shallow. Then you can see how hard and exactly when to set the hook.

PCG

[This message has been edited by Pro Crappie Guide (edited 12-30-2002).]

Use a power hookset when you know the fish is there for sure. to manage this make sure you have sharp hooks and keep the slack in your line to where you are going to set the hook to a minimium. My friends,drogers and theycallmescott always tease me about my power hooksets but i will tell you when the fish are on aggrssive or not i always get them.so i hope this is good advise.

Let them take it a little longer and bend your hook out a little more.

Before you set the hook lift the rod unitl the line is tight. Then lift it a little more. If you feel the weight of the fish you got him, set the hook. If he lets go during this, odds are you were not going to get him anyways. Scott Steil

One thing I found out when fishing Crappies.. I too had problems with hook set and i found that it was my bait.. I was hooking back into the dorsel fin.. What helped me out is.. I take my Minnow and my jig,or hook and run it under the dorsel fin ..Take you hook,or jig and place the tip of it on the back behind the fin.. And run it along the fin bringing the hook up in front of the the fin.. If done right your minnow will live much longer and give you more action.. And give you the hook set you need everytime.. It has worked for me and have lost fewer fish this way.. Good luck Hope it helps. With all the other great info you have been given..
Happy Fishing

best for me is to give a moderate set then take it very easy as crapie seem to like to fight sidways as they come in, doing this lessons the tare-out They have soft mouth if you havent noticed, If you miss them on set, sometimes just start realing in is best!!Depends how there bitting that day, good luck

I always use a very limber noodle rod which really helps to prevent ripping the hook out of the fish on the hookset and in reeling it in.
I usually use a #6 hook size on my crappie jigs and plain hooks too which improves hook-ups.
With the noodle rod lift the rod slowly when you detect a bite, when you see the rod start to bend from the fishes weight set the hook with a fast lift of the rod. Keep the line tight at all times and reel the fish in at a moderate speed depending on the size of the fish. Also make sure your reel drag slips just a little on the hook set, this seems to prevent a lot of rip off too.
When using minnows as bait hook them half way between the dorsal fin and the tail. This exposes more hook and you will get a better hook-up rate.
Good Fishing!
Cliff

------------------
Cliff's Guide Service
CliffsGuideService-LakeVermilion.com
Lake Vermilion
Phone: (218) 753-2005

funny posts smile.gif
dont give a strong hookset to crappies, youll lose them every time. a strong hookset will also make a larger gap in their mouths for the hook to release. if you get em on keep em flying up the hole and right out for the crappie flop. dont sit there n play with a crappie.
crappie fishing they hit it with a pop and then start takin the bait down. hit them right after that pop. u know what i am talkin about if you have used a bobber for them. then hit em not hard but a good hookset and dont pause just start reelin.

the crappie flop just swing the crappie so he is headed right up the hole n keep em coming. usually the force of the rod sweeping up brings the crappie right to your feet or further smile.gif
large crappies 12" n over i would be more careful but with smaller ones this technique is great. with large ones i bring em right to the surface without creating any tension above the water and grab them right behind the gills, works great. if they get off slide them out of the hole before they can turn around. and use smaller holes for the big crappies if you can. then they cant turn around easy.

------------------
Good Luck Stickin Dos PigZ!

1 more thing in response to another post. the one about the smaller hook. in my view use a larger one.
look at a crappies mouth, when they hit a jig they suck the whole bait in. a smaller jig doesn't work great for a good hook percentage. the larger the hook without being too large will do the greatest by far. 8" crappies will be aight with small jigs but dont use small hooks for big slabs. if you want a small jig head, find one with a larger hook. bending the hooks will also work, but alot of these hooks are really lightweight n breakable as it is. i had a 6# walleye on a few nights ago and that small crappie hook just bent and i lost the walleye.

------------------
Good Luck Stickin Dos PigZ!

[This message has been edited by pig_sticka (edited 01-02-2003).]

just got back from a little afternoon fishing, Caught 22 sunnies and 15 crappie, I lost a couple crappie, you could see them come to the hole,threw thw ice sideways.. I prefer a larger hock and a smaller minnow,

If your fishing under a bobber with minnows ..where you hook the minnow can make a big difference on your hookup ratio, especially if they are finicky. If your lip hooking them now, switch to the dorsal, or half way between the dorsal and the tail. Your hookset will vary greatly upon the rod you are using .. if you have a moderatly stiff rod .. be easy on the hookset and rely on reeling them in keeping steady pressure. If you have a *limp noodle* for a rod dont be afraid to put a bit of a hookset into them.. not to be confused with ripping a bass out of the lily pads. A hook too small will cause problems of fish coming off, a hook too large will usually detour them from biting.

I try to use rods that are soft, but still have a hair of backbone to them .. I set the hook with a twitch of the wrist and steadily raise my rod as I regulate the line tension thereafter with reeling..

There is one more factor in this that I overlooked .. The depth that your fishing can make a difference also .. if your using very light line (2 lb test) the deeper you get the more stretch there is. At 10' you have a couple inches of stretch in that line before theres much tension. If your fishing deep you may not be getting the tension you need to get the hook in solid. 4 lb test line there isnt as much of a factor, unless your in really deep water.

If fishing with a bobber make sure that you hook the minnow under the dorsal fin, but make sure you hook the minnow with the hook facing towards the head of the minnow (hook the minnow the long way). Most crappies will take the minnow head first. Give it a try and let me know how it works! I just got off of URL and I don't think I missed a crappie with that technique!! Good luck!!

------------------
I like Tail