• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

boat buying question

TyGuy02

I've learned as I've gotten older to sleep on decisions to let it digest, and I'm wondering about a used boat that seems like a pretty good deal.

I recently found a used 2000 1650 lund rebel ss w/50 yamaha 4 stroke, listed for 6k. My step-father wants me to upgrade my boat and he'll go in on it with me. It meets all of our qualifications...2000 or newer, 4 stroke (and yamaha to boot). It doesn't need a trolling motor since I have a pd2 w/ipilot, and doesn't necesarily need great sonar because I want to upgrade that anyways.

My question is this, I did the NADA value, and it valued at 5k with motor and trailer. I don't believe I'm missing anything when I valued it (ie, livewell/baitwell) should I stick to the 5k value if I go for it?

I know this model doesn't have the IPS hull, but it is a Lund. I'm not looking for the performance of a 1900 pro v/explorer, but what do you know about this model?

Thanks for any info or help!

NADA is often low, especially in states like MN where demand for boats is always high. Offer what you believe is fair, but if you are set on the boat make sure it's semi reasonable so he doesn't walk. 5-5.25k seems reasonable. He can always counter if he doesn't like it.

When I went to the dealer to buy mine, I took along the NADA sheet and showed him what that said it was worth. He pulled out his book and showed what that book said. It was hard to argue with him since that book had many more reasons why the book value was higher (just more accurate- less guideline estimates). We ended up pretty much splitting the difference and were both happy.

FWIW, a 12 year old (rather bare bones) boat with a 50 seems a bit steep to me at 6k. Not saying it is bad boat at all, just that with the age and size of it, it seems steep. Especially this time of year. Good luck though, and have fun if you get it!

Buy it for 6K if:

You know the previous owner

It is the size you are certain you want

It is really nice condition

It has a good loading trailer/spare/lifetime license

It has a cover

All wiring has no quirks

It has 3 nice seats

It has all the required safety gear

And most importantly if it is the color your wife wants.