• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Scott's Fungus Control

otterman91105

Before you go spreading products I would try to confirm the cause of your brown spot.

A huge cause of dying lawns this time of year is insect damage. The damage from the asian beetles is really starting to show.

Most of the fungal damage should have shown up over a month ago and even if it is the cause you really can't do much about it until next season. Very few fungal disorders can be treated once they are established. They are best handled with prevention in the spring when the fungus is growing. The damage you see in the summer is the result of the fungus causing damage in the spring. By the time you know about it, its too late.

I would like to hope that it's not from insects, i have put down the grub and insect killer on the lawn about month before this showed up. . I don't know if i should try it or not, some people say it helps other say it doesn't do anything. It's just slowly spreading.

I would find a way to confirm the lawn problem before you throw any chemicals at it. A couple pictures of the lawn and a close up of some blades of grass would help diagnose the problem.

Another option would be to check with a reputable lawn service in the area who has licensed pesticide applicators. I know that Lwnmwnman works in your area. Maybe he has some insight into problems in your area.

When was the last time you fertilized? We've had a TON of rain, and with all of the sandy soil, the last fertilizer will have leached out.

I know in the past I had issues with what I believed to be fungus problems, and talked with my suppliers that the product was ineffective.

They looked at my situation and stated I needed to fertilize, even though I'd done it about 4 weeks earlier.

It corrected my situation.

Try posting up some pictures of the lawn with something next to the spots to compare the size. Also maybe stick a shovel in the groung and dig up one of the spots and check for grubs or other insects. Chances are if it isn't an insect problem, you will clear up the brown spots with fertilizer.

That's pretty short, should be more towards 3.5".

Two tips, and you can take it for what it's worth.

It's better to have the grass grow longer, as it creates shade for itself, thus not drying out as quickly.

Also, how long are you watering when you do water? I'll assume you have an irrigation system, or are you dragging hose everywhere?

You'll want to water approx. 30 minutes per area, give the ground a good drenching, then back off the water. This will cause the roots to go deeper into the soil and not dry out so quick.

An issue arises when people water for 10-15 minutes at a time, for multiple times per day. The roots never get a chance to firmly establish and will always dry quickly.

I couldn't agree more with lwnmwnman. You're mowing too short by at least an inch and you're overwatering. It actually makes the grass have shallower roots which make it less drought tolerant and will also help breed any sort of fungus problems.

Longer grass will shade its own roots and be greener since you will get more "leaf" of the grass. I would never mow less than 3" at any time of year unless you've got a golf course grass variety and you should raise your deck to 3.5-4" during the heat of the summer. Your lawn will look better and require less work. The longer grass also helps crowd out weeds.

You can mow every day, it doesn't change the length of the stem of a blade of grass. You are still left with a very short "leaf" on the grass which absorbs less sunlight, blocks less sunlight and provides less support to the roots. Having less leaf means the plant will require more water and more fertilizer to accomplish the work usually done by the plant and will also be less green since there is less plant material for photosynthesis.

Its important to know what type of grass you have and what are the recommend care practices. Not every grass is the same and certain varieties need to be cared for differently.

I end up mowing every three days. Thanks to everyone that has posted i'm going to try to set my mower up and hope that will help. LwnmwnMan2 does your company every treat lawns for fertilzer and weeds? Looking at what I could do for next year instead of doing it my self.

I'm not sure who to recommend in your area, but I would stay away from Trugreen and a few of the other big time splash and dash type lawn companies.

Even though I did lawn care for 5 yrs and still have my pesticide license, I still pay someone else to take care of my lawn. I did it myself when I worked for the company because I had all the materials to make it easy. NOw that I have to do it myself, you need a spreader, a sprayer, buy your own fert and chemicals, mix it in small batches and remix when you run out etc. You need to keep up with the dates and monitor for diseases. Its a lot to do for yourself on the side unless you really love it.

I have a plan for 5 applications a year. App 1 is for crabgrass and a light fert. 2nd app is fert and broadleaf weeds, 5-6weeks after app 1 or around memorial day. App 3 is mid july and is fert only unless spot treating for weeds. App 4 is fert and weeds around Labor day and then app 5 is a late fall fert only. My 1/2 acre lawn is $74 an app from Green Stuff. I like them alot.