• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jon Boat question.

lispeej

Very general question:

What is the longest and biggest jon boat available out there? Are jon boats fairly stable in big waters vs. small waters? I guess what I'm trying to figure out is where to buy one new and the pros and cons to getting a jon boat vs. a regular fishing boat.

I will be going on the local rivers and lakes, and if time ever permits, go up north to mille lacs and the other northern lakes.

Jon boats as stated above are not good on big water. They are tippy in big waves and you, passengers and cargo gets thrown around. Find a 16 foot V-Hull with a 20-30 H.P. and you can go on most rivers and lakes including Mille Lacs. I have owned a 16' Lund with 20 H.P. Johnson for 20 years and been on Winnie, Leech, Mille Lacs, and Missouri River in all kinds of weather and it takes it. Best all around boat there is, I think.

I have owned both, and here is what i've experienced. John boat was great in current on the river, dont get pushed around as fast as v hull. Was in wind last year on vacation on a decent sized lake, and my poor wife's back took a beating. I sold and went back to a v hull, and thats what I am going to stay with. 16 Lund w 25 tiller, and its good on the river as well as much more comfy and stable. Also, drier. In any waves, you"ll get wet w/jon boat. Mine was a modified v, still rough and wet . My 2 cents, hope it helps.

I have owned both Vee-hull and I have a 18ft mod v husky jon by Lowe and not affraid of big water with it

Down side is they are harder to control in the wind than a vee hull and if its windy you just dont blast across the waves as the jon tends tio pound the wave as a Vee cuts thru them.

On the rivers and small lakes thats where this boat is at home very very stable runs skinny water

You can get Jon boats from 8ft to 28ft maybe even longer if you look into custom boats.

Onething I would suggest is that you get one that is as wide the length allows for that model. The wider the more sable you get.

I have been in quite afew differnt jon boats and I think that 18ft-20 ft is about an all around good size for handleing rivers and lakes

Hope this helkps in your search fo a boat