• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

backlash against common carp?

Stick500

With the news today of more evidence for asian carp in the St. Croix, I get the feeling there may be a backlash against common carp in MN by some anglers who may not know the difference. In other words, I think we'll be seeing more commons thrown up on the shore or having their bellies slit (both of which are illegal), simply from all the doom and gloom talk about carp.

Now I do understand that there are many lakes in MN that are overpopulated with carp, affecting recreation, fishing, and other wildlife, and need to have their numbers cut down dramatically. But I also feel there are many other lakes where the commons have struck a relatively harmless equilibrium within the ecosystem, such as the city lakes (Harriet, Calhoun, Cedar) where I do most of my carp fishing. I just don't see how they are messing up those lakes in any way.

I've also heard that there may be a problem with carp reproduction in some MN lakes over the past decade. Oddly enough, I never catch, nor have I ever seen, a carp in any of those 3 lakes under 25-inches. I guess what I'm saying is, for purely selfish reasons because I love catching the monsters, I hope there isn't a great uptick in killing commons because people think they are doing the right thing for the lake.

BTW, I do kill a few myself every year while snorkeling and spearfishing (some may have seen my posts in the Bowfishing/Spearing forum), but I do utilize the fish (and I really can't enjoy the sport of spearfishing without killing some!)

Now if I ever happen to land a bighead or silver I'll be doin' some killin' fer sure - it's the law and it doesn't sound good what they can do to a fishery.

This brings back memories of when I was younger. At my cabin lake we have quite a few Bowfin, that's the only place I've ever caught them. But I've caught a lot in my days, my uncles used to always tell me they are bad for lakes so they would kill them whenever the caught them. I think just because they are titled as roughfish people assume they are bad and need to be removed from "their lake". It's safe to say they don't have this viewpoint anymore and they Bowfin populations are still good in the lake our cabin is on! I love catching them. SO much fun.

I feel that people are way too nervous about the Silver and Bigheads getting here. I do not look forward to them being here but it is likely going to happen soon. There was a bigmouth buffalo killed by a guy on the Chippewa river in WI thinking it was a bighead. Fish ID is so important and if you fish you really need to learn ID. When Duck hunting there is no excuse for shooting a bird before you ID it so why is it not stressed when killing fish? I have a few friends who have caught and eaten Silvers and bighead finding the meat good. Common carp can be canned and used just like tuna and tastes very close. I could go on and on with the topic of ID and wanton waste. It is a topic that has bugged me for a long time. Also bowfin are an important tool to have in a lake to keep stunted sunfish from taking over a lake.

Although I do love catching carp at certain times of the year, and that many lake and river in minnesota have probably adjusted to the common carp, they are not native nor are they "good" for our lakes.

I personally do not kill every carp I catch but many do not go back in the water just because of the harm they do to plants and producers of the lakes. More carp harvest I do not believe will do a lake harm. Although fun to catch and eat(smoked) they are not good for MN lakes.

@anyfish

Common carp aren't terribly bad for lakes either, even if they aren't good.

What's really bad for lakes is DRASTIC change.. for example those couple of lakes that had 90+% of the carp population netted out of it. From what I understand the fishing the following year was terrible due to some of the plant-related side effects of a massive drop in the carp population.

I agree though that carp could be harvested much more drastically by anglers. It's that netting that seems to cause issues.

Mainbutter, although I will agree with your assessment, will respectfully say as system, a lake will be better off with less or even better no carp. Fishing success, good or bad, shouldn't cloud the fact our lakes are better off without them.

Carp are bad for lakes in general, shallow lakes in particular. The large biomass of carp compete for food and space with native fish and they tear apart lake bottoms, thus degrading the lake. The UMN has been doing some experiment carp removal projects in my area and the results have been spectacular. The water clarity and gamefish populations have really taken off since the carp disappeared. Do I enjoy catching carp? Yes! Do I wish there wasn't a single carp swimming in US waters? Yes!

Carp are such prolific spawners that no amount of angler harvest will actually impact their numbers. When people throw them up on the bank, they haven't helped the lake, they've just harmed anyone who comes near the bank. I'm nervous about the bigheads and silvers because I am a mississippi fisherman. It is my favorite fishery because of the diversity. I love catching (and properly Id-ing) 10 different kinds of fish during a day on the water. That is exactly the experience that is disappearing in the infested waters.