• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Help with my bolt?

I have a Savage Edge rifle and at the range the other day the bolt will not slide back in. There is this little button looking thing in the way. Any know how to fix this? I really like the rifle it shoot awesome. I have only put around a 100 rounds in it so far. Thanks for any help MM78

I read the manual and saw nothing about this. The bolt is in the uncocked position. I pushed as hard as i could to get that thing in there and it would not go in. I been messing with this for 2 days now and its starting to tick me off that i cant seem to figure it out.

Okay. Always a good place to start, though. I'm guessing SmilinBob is on the right track, I think he probably know something about firearms. So, you may have to re-cock your bolt in order to get the thing to go back in the rifle. Will it fit part way into the receiver to allow you to do this? Obvioulsy, be patient and careful so that you don't damage anything...

Also, have you tried holding both that little tab thing (on the far side of the receiver from the bolt handle on mine) that HunterLee mentioned and pulling the trigger with the gun on Fire? I think I need to do both to get the bolt back in my Savage 110.

it doesn't go "in" persay. The button is what slides in the cutout of the right side of the receiver, it is protruding from a triangular cutout in the bolt body, in order for the bolt to go back into the reciever it must be in the rear(toward the shooter, not the muzzle) where there is a small notch to hold it in place. the button is what actually cocks the firing pin back when you open the bolt and is always "sticking out" from the bolt body. It's really simple to show and hard to explain. What you need to do is find a good way to hold the bolt like it was in the gun in the shooting position, from there find sonething like a punch or block of wood to pull the button toward the rear of the bolt riding the long side of the triangle until it moves into the notch to hold it, it will be a tough pull like I said earlier, you are moving a stout spring. It will snap out of the recess into the fired position very easily and most likely without you noticing unless you are watching it. I see this pretty regularly in the shop, if it still doesn't work give me a call at Keeler's Gunsmithing, I'm just over in Becker, but will be out at the Gamefair all weekend.

And the light bulb goes on! grin

I was thinking it was a different design from my gun, and that the button was on the rifle itself (not the bolt). I was thinking it was some kind of additional "don't stroke the bolt out of the gun" measure.