• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Snapper Encounter

Went to the cabin with two grandkids and we had two snappers hanging around the dock. Almost identical size (about a 10-12 in long shell)but one had a white line on the top of its nose. The other turtle was quite bold. It would drop down under the water a few feet from where we stood on the dock and watch us. If my grandson slapped the water he would immediately swim to the sound right at the edge of the dock and pop its head out. It hung around all day Sunday and was still there Monday morning. I didn't let the kids play in the water concerned he was too aggresive. I decided he needed a new home so I netted him and with the kids help we moved him to a nearby remote lake. When it walked out of the tote it raised up on his back legs to walk. It reminded me of a triceratops. The grandson thought he walked like an alligator. Good experience for the kids.

full-6648-11019-1_snappy600_7750.jpg

full-6648-11020-2_noseout_7759.jpg

full-6648-11021-3_topdown_7841.jpg

full-6648-11022-4_scar_7839.jpg

full-6648-11023-5_two_7879.jpg

full-6648-11024-6_refl_7763.jpg

full-6648-11025-7_tub_7890.jpg

full-6648-11026-9_outofhere_7892.jpg

full-6648-11027-10_free_7893.jpg

Great stuff. Kids love dinosaurs, I bet they had a ton of fun! What a great experience to share with the family laugh

I want to thank you for relocating the turtles rather than 'disposing' of them, once you decided that they posed a risk to small curious fingers. Snapping turtles are my favorite turtle species (and that's saying something since I'm somewhat of a reptile nut)

Jarrid, I've never been disappointed in any of the reptiles or amphibians I've eaten (though I've never had turtle). White, moist meat, better than chicken.

That said, snappers are long lived animals. The biggest problem here is mercury content, as their diet is extremely fish-heavy. If there are ANY mercury advisories for the fish in an area, I would not eat snappers that came from there just based on the health issue alone. Taking many years to get to size does not make for a healthy meal when there are pollutants in the environment.