• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How is everyone's garden coming?

crothmeier

I keep planting trays reserved with soil... So they get started now... And then when things get cooler I'm going to put them in the cold frame greenhouse.

I "Hoping" that I'll be able to harvest spinach and snow peas into November.

Well, the the garden's report card has gone up a notch form a C+ to a solid B with the corn harvest (75 pints pint in freezer and LOTS eaten fresh and given away) and still several dozen left, and tomatoes starting to ripen nicely. A nice bonus was a gift of about 30 pounds of really great broccoli (after near total failure of ours)

Avoided frost this morning with a bit of cloud cover. I believe it leveled off in the high thirties. How many out there in the northland got frost?

We had 32 degrees when I got up at 6 a.m., but did not find any frost. Very heavy dew was all.

Kossack kohlrabi are 3-6 inches wide and growing. Both squash varieties have put out nice gourds. Climbing cukes still going strong. Garlic yielded nicely. Carrots were just OK (deer grazing the tops). Beans just OK (bad germination and deer). Seven rows of radishes seeded 9 days ago, and all are up and growing nicely.

I give this year's gardens a B. Carrot and bean yields kept it from an A.

Yeah it only got down to 48 for me last night... So no frost worries... Planted my green beans really late this year (three sisters planting so I had to wait for Corn to get to 6 inches tall first and it was a bad spring for corn)

At this point I'm just hoping we have a late first frost... I've got about 50 butternut squash that are just about ripe to still fully green, and I really want those to reach full ripe so I can enjoy them all fall and winter long!

I am tiring of picking string beans and zucchini. Think we should be about done with the string beans though. Fabulous zucchini year too and the crook neck summer squash are the same way. Cukes are getting towards done especially after some of the striped cucumber beetle feeding. They seem to infect them with something. Dug some carrots yesterday; very nice & very sweet! My Mom turns 86 tomorrow and she can't wait to dig into them. Unfortunately she has a swallowing disorder that needs to be corrected this week before doing that. Soft food diet doesn't lend itself to eating carrots very well. frown Luckily they keep well. This past year we were still eating them in April. Cherry tomatoes just getting rolling. Picked a 5 quart pail of them tonite. Yum! Muskmelons getting closer and I am curious to see how these Goddess melons will taste after Ken W's experience with them. Winter squash crop is good quality but the quantity of buttercup and Mooregold was limited by the squash vine borer. Lots of Heart of Gold tho. Good grief for gourds. I can't to see how many of these get dumped over the fence to the sheep. Indian corn is racing to the finish line just like the field corn. I sprayed for corn earworm so will be curious to see how well that worked. They can make a nasty mess on the tip of an otherwise beautiful ear of corn. The first planting of fall snap peas is off to a good start as are the winter radishes. Some of the 2nd planting of snap peas are emerging on some faster ground w/a south facing slope. It's my first time trying this so will be interesting to see what they do.

I have picked all of my melons.I think I had around 50 watermelons.Garage fridge completely full.

Unfortunately the Cantalope and Galias don't keep more than a week.My Goddess Cantalope are very good this year....but the star of my garden this year has been a Galia named Sensation....4-6 pound melons....great tasting.My kids love a Santa Claus melon named Lambkin.