• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

RC Flyers-Something different!

In addition to flying the real thing...I am actively involved in electric RC airplanes. Attended two out of three days of one of the larger electric only RC airplane fly-ins in our area in Owatonna this past Friday, Saturday and Sunday. If you think photography or fishing is expensive....you need to see some of the set ups folks have! One of the larger combat aircraft fly-ins will be in two weeks at the same field but it doesn't look like I will be around to see it. Here are just a few of the planes we observed!

Spitfire on a low speed pass

IMG5993-L.jpg

A one third scale Sopwith Camel built from scratch from a pilot from Madison, WI. It has a 7' wingspan and a belt-driven motor running a 10 cell battery. He has another more impressive airplane further down the page wink

IMG6030-L.jpg

An absolutely beautiful Waco! This was a gem!

IMG6107a-L.jpg

This is an insane 1/3 scale Jenny electric airplane built by the Madison gentleman again. This plane has to be seen to be believed. It has a 15' wingspan! All scratch built, and as with all his scale planes a belt drive motor. Very unusual for electrics, normally they are direct drive or run through a gear box. This photo is to give you an idea of the size! This plane won the Best of Show award!

IMG6136-L.jpg

In the air!

IMG6143-L.jpg

There were a number of novelty planes as well, such as a witch on a broomstick!

1DBL1954-L.jpg

Large 3D planes that do some gravity defying tricks...close to the ground. This plane had about a 6 foot wingspan and was performing knife-edged flight.

1DBL1996-L.jpg

Inverted flight just above the ground.

1DBL2011-L.jpg

Hovering just above the ground. Some can do 360's hovers around themselves so close you could reach out and touch the plane with a plane as tall as the pilot!

1DBL2030-L.jpg

A beautiful four engine Lockheed Constellation or "Connie". This was another large electric!

1DBL2107-L.jpg

Very Cool!

A RC plane w/ a 15' wingspan, Wow. That must be tense to fly with the amount of time invested in building something like that. Love the witch, Connie, and the large Jenny.

You know it must be a bit intense flying something like that. I can't imagine how much time he has invested in that plane. Each part handmade, the fabrication and design time. You can't just buy parts off the shelf. I get a bit nervous when I put a new $100 plane in the air that you can easily fix with a little glue and tape!