• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shooting an elk

I am goin g to Colorado this fall to chase elk around the mountains during the first rifle season and want to make a good choice about the grain bullet I shoot through my 30-06. I am not well versed in ballistics and thought someone here could shed some light to the advantages and disadvantages of the 165 grain vs the 180 grain bullets.

Thanks in advance for any information.

UNIT

Spend hours and hours and hours at the rifle range shooting 180 gr. bullets. Then some more hours. Then maybe a couple more.

Then when you get your shot you can make it count....with whatever weight bullet you finally choose.

Shoot shoot shoot!

How many deer have you shot with your 06? What bullet did you use? If you have shot a pile of deer with that combo and are confident you can put it where it counts, that is what you use. Three former guides from Colorado I know all used their favorite familiar whitetail gun, 2 used .30-30,s and one used a .243 because they were very familiar with the guns and could hit em in the right spot. They told me that you likely will use open sights, if you are hunting anywhere near dark timber. Shot my first Colorado elk with my deer rifle using open sights at 20 yards, right behind the ear, just like a deer in Minnesota.

And practice, practice, practice!!!!!!

lakevet

How many deer have you shot with your 06? What bullet did you use? If you have shot a pile of deer with that combo and are confident you can put it where it counts, that is what you use.

And practice, practice, practice!!!!!!

lakevet

I agree 100%, the biggest stumbling block I see when 'newbies' come with us hunting Elk or Mule Deer is the judgement of distance ( most people shoot over the animal because they think it's further away than it really is ), if they know the distance, they can make the shot confidently if you're comfortable with your gun. I use a 280 Rem. with 150 gr. Noslers and it has worked very well on Elk and Muley's.

Mike

I shot the Federal vital shock in 180 grain. I think the code was 3006R (not 3006F) it says HE (high energy) and has the Rocky Mtn Elk foundation on the box. I was looking at the ft pounds and dropage at 350 yards since this was my first high country elk hunt. It is hard to find now so I started reloading my own. I wish I had a guide that got me in 20 yards but that is a whole different frustrating story. I shot mine at 305 yards and required no tracking. The guys are right. Pratice practice practice. When that shot comes you are fighting adrenaline and altitude. I remember at the range holding tight groups at 200 yards (my zero) only to be told by the elk hunters there, " that's impressive. Now if you want to shoot an elk, set your gun down, run out to the road and back, pick your gun up and shoot." Looking back now that is how it felt at 11,000 feet.

Spend hours and hours and hours at the rifle range shooting 180 gr. bullets. Then some more hours. Then maybe a couple more.

Then when you get your shot you can make it count....with whatever weight bullet you finally choose.

Shoot shoot shoot!

I would agree with this then shoot some more

or as my dad always told me: son there are 3 things you need to do before hunting any animal

1. practice

2. practice

3. practice

and if you think your good practice some more

I shoot 165 grain hornady boatail thru my 06 for deer and would not hesitate using them for elk JMO

I wish I had a guide that got me in 20 yards but that is a whole different frustrating story. I shot mine at 305 yards and required no tracking. The guys are right. Pratice practice practice. When that shot comes you are fighting adrenaline and altitude. I remember at the range holding tight groups at 200 yards (my zero) only to be told by the elk hunters there, " that's impressive. Now if you want to shoot an elk, set your gun down, run out to the road and back, pick your gun up and shoot." Looking back now that is how it felt at 11,000 feet.

For the record, my elk was shot without a guide and was on public land. Hunted just like deer, go to the thick nasty stuff where most hunters won't go.

You post brought up another critical point, the hunter's physical condition. You must be in the best possible physical condition possible. If you are out of shape, you shooting could be severely compromised. Since we hunt mainly muzzleloader season driving deer in knee deep snow in swamps at below zero conditions here in Northern Minnesota, we are stay at least partially in shape for elk hunting laugh

So.......exercise, exercise, exercise then practice,practice,practice.............then repeat!

Have fun hunting!

lakevet