• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2003 Optimax 135 - low rpm at WOT

BartmanMN

My motor should run at 5000-5500 RPM at WOT. It currently is only running at ~4100 at WOT. While running at WOT (4100 RPM) it does not run steady, sounds like it is going up and down rrrr, rrrr, rrrr.

This motor only has ~68 hours on it and I assume the original prop (but not positive). Any ideas where to start?

Other than this issue there is no hesitation or indication of problems any other place in the power band.

Also check your fuel filter? I'd take it out and dump it into a clear container and look for any contaminants in your filter. I have a feeling something is clogged up very well. Something i've learned in the past few weeks of addressing my problem I don't fill up my tank any more like I use to. I pump fresh gas on my way to the lake and try to make sure I burn it up in a week or less on my outings. These days with all this ethanol I add startron and make sure my gas doesn't sit for weeks on end.

Please post up your results as I am curious to what the issue was.

Good Luck!

Also check your fuel filter? I'd take it out and dump it into a clear container and look for any contaminants in your filter. I have a feeling something is clogged up very well. Something i've learned in the past few weeks of addressing my problem I don't fill up my tank any more like I use to. I pump fresh gas on my way to the lake and try to make sure I burn it up in a week or less on my outings. These days with all this ethanol I add startron and make sure my gas doesn't sit for weeks on end.

Please post up your results as I am curious to what the issue was.

Good Luck!

Will do. Fuel filter is likely something I can take a look at. This is my first boat, so I don't have any experience with outboards. I have printed off the engine diagram, so I can take a look.

Found out my neighbors brother is a certified Mercury mechanic. I am taking him out on the boat tomorrow to diagnose. He said he can hook his laptop up to the motor as well.

He may suggest dropping down in prop pitch a number or two which will bring up your WOT rpm's.

Took the boat out last night with the computer and found cyclinder #6 not firing. He swapped the coil from another cylinder to 6 to confirm the coil and leads are good. We did not bring the tool box out, so he is coming back tonight to check the plug. I hope it is just a fouled plug. Motor has 69 hours on it and the computer showed that the majority of those hours are at idle.

Air injector did have quite a bit of carbon build up on it. Soaked it in de-carbonizer for a couple days, which did clean it up, but still is not ticking at all when tested with the DDT. Have to bite the bullet and order a new injector. Everything will be good after that.

I just wanted to close this out in case anyone else with an optimax has a similar issue. It was indeed a bad Air injector on the #6 cylinder. The part is 402.50 from Mercury, but I found a new one on an auction site for $200.

This corrected my issue and the boat now runs at the correct rpms. I was able to hit 47mph last night.