• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

English Springer Spaniel Skin/Coat Question

Eye Slayer

Hey, everyone! I'm looking for some info from other ESS owners out there... My siser-in-law has a 3yr old female ESS that, for the last year and a half, has been developing very dry skin and sores/scabs. They mostly develop on her back near her rump, but she has also gotten them on her chest and stomach. The vet did a skin scrape for for Demodex (spelling?), and that came back negative. The scabs don't seem to show up during the winter - mainly just the Spring/Summer months. She has responded positively to antibiotic treatments with cephalexin.

The vet's recommending an allergy test ($800-1000) to determine the cause, as they think it's a food or environment allergy. So, if you have any ideas of what might be causing this, please let me know. My sister-in-law's a teacher and doesn't have the money to pay for $1000 vet bills.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I would try a food with out grains (oats, corn, wheat, etc) in it first to see what happens. (Orijen & Acana to name a few)

we have a cat that is allergic to chicken. So after the grain free foot, try one that is lamb and rice (with no chicken), then try the fish only version. Its cheaper to try to narrow things down this way first.

My GSP just started to get a few little spots on his neck and chin last week, but I'm pretty sure it is not his normal food. I have been "treating" him with banana slices, blue berries and strawberries when I have some, so i'm thinking one of those is the culprit for me.

Thanks guys for the feedback. The vet suspects its the food as well, but it's hard to pinpoint. The dog is off her regular store food and on a home made food consisting mostly of hamburger and rice. She is now off her antibiotics, so my sister-in-law is going to keep her on this food with the hopes that it goes away and stays away.

If anyone else has any thoughts on what might be causing this, please let me know. Thanks again!

Went through similar issues a year ago with my ESS. Vet had him on meds and recommended a food change. No grain and especially NO corn. Said ESS's are prone to corn allergies.

Switched food to Taste of the Wild. Dog looks great and no skin issues at all.

I had somewhat of a similar situation. I figured it was a yeast infection instead of allergy's ,what my vet was suggesting. None of my vets advice ever work so I did my own research on the google. Switch my dogs food to nutrisource. Put my dog on a natural additive called Nzymes. Cost roughly 120 dollars for a 6 month supply. My dog has been on it for about two months and just about all his fur is back and he has all his old energy back. Give it a try... what do you got to lose.