• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ten Mile Lake, Hackensack

tadpole

I have fished Ten Mile quite a few times during the summer.(July) Wife's grandfather has a place on the north shore. I now have a cabin east of hackensack myself and will be up quite a bit more this year. I have had trouble consistantly catching walleyes here. I was wondering if anyone else fishes this lake and where they go. I have maps, the old infisherman articles (1980's where they followed the release of 3 eyes). I've asked a the local bait store (CLUELESS!). Any help would be appreciated. Are there guides that fish this lake?

Thanks
Tad

"Wishin I was Fishin"
Catch & Release!

Tad,

I've fished the lake a few times and haven't had much luck either.
But I've come to a couple of realizations out there.

1. Need to fish the weeds.
2. Need to fish deeper.(30-60 feet)
3. There is too much structure. I would run and gun out there til my head was spinning. I personally early on would look to a few of the rocky points and bars. As the year progresses, I would look for the best weedlines near deep water and fish the edges of the thick stuff.

Personally, I think later on in the year the fish out there really suspend out deep most of the time staying cool and chasing tullibees and whitefish.... which is why June and late fall could be dynamite, June(shinners running) and fall(tullibees and whites spawning. Also doing some night fishing could be a very productice solution as well, either deepwater trolling or shorelines.

I think a big wind out there could prove resourceful as well on those weed edges as well!

Rumor has it that there are some giagantic crappies in there as well!!!

[This message has been edited by Hammer em' (edited 02-05-2004).]

Next time you are up, swing into walker and stop by "Open Water" it's a cigar shop owned by Jim Flesch he's the guy holding the huge muskie on the Reed's billboard down by Rice I think. He's one of the top guides in the area. If he can't take you out then he'll know who would be the next best choice.

Late June, July, August fish top of reefs,20 to 30 feet, anchor, slip bobbers and leeches,
start after 10pm, find lesser known, mid-lqke spots.........GPS a must........

Walleyes absolutely suspend high in the water column over deep water here. From late May through July troll #7 to #9 Shad Raps or other deep diving plugs on planer boards over some of the deepest portions of the lake.

It's mostly an evening and nighttime affair, revolving around the twilight vertical movements of zooplankton and the dwarf ciscoes that follow them. Look for big slicks of bait on your locator near the thermocline. Again, toward dusk, watch the surface for pods of porpoising ciscoes. That's where you wanna troll.

It's certainly not the only pattern on Ten Mile, but for my money, it's the best big fish bite you're gonna find. Enjoy your fishing!

-a friend,
Cory Schmidt