• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

why do you add grease to bearing buddies not regular bearings?

mrpike1973

hi since i'm learning about bearings. i read some people pump a couple of shots of grease in there buddies every couple of trips. i only check mine 1 or 2 times a season. so i got to thinking if you have regular bearings with dust caps wouldnt you have to add grease to them every now and then. i guess what this comes down to is i dont understand. whats the greatness of having to add grease all the time rather than just use a dust cap and inspect in the fall. no matter how carfull i am i make sure the buddy just has enough pressure so the spring has pressure one wheel will be good the next one will shoot grease all over the back put a new seal on same thing. since i have started fishing i have burned up 6 sets of bearings on various trailers some with buddies some not. one burned out so bad there was no grease in the hub the bearing burned to the axle trailer was shot. before you think i'm an [PoorWordUsage] i had many of these done by marine dealers i put maybe 40 miles a week on my boat any ideas thank you

Regular bearings also require repacking from time-to-time. If I'm not mistaken it may also be recommended to repack bearing buddies once in a while too, although I've never done it and never had a problem either.

I dont know much about the buddies, so I'm curious to what everybody thinks of them. My 2cents is they make it too easy to not take the time to inspect the insides and just give it a shot and see waht happens.

you dont mention how many years those 6 failures are spread across, not sure if thats abnormal or not.

On a boat trailer in these parts, the main cause of bearing damage is water, (actually heat is what fails them, but because of other issues). water gets in the hub and can/will cause the bearings to rust if care is not taken to prevent damage. The dust cap is not waterproof and will allow seepage into the bearings when they are underwater. The water washes grease out of the bearings which causes excess heat, also even slightest rust pit will lead to failure. The basic rule of thumb is the more the bearings are in the water the more frequent you'll need to repack and inspect them. My understanding of the "buddies" is that you are able to push out the water and contaminates in between your regular maintenence schedule prolonging bearing life.

I try to keep my trailer hubs out of the water as much as possible, if I can launch without the hubs in the water I do. granted that is not always possible and with some boats/ landings its alomost never possible. in those cases launch quick and get the bearings back out of the water.

Have had buddies on all my trailers for the last 25 years, had 1 failure due to me not checking/replacing the bearings on a new to me boat I knew had been sitting for several years. I do take mine apart at least once a year to inspect.

I use the plain ol dust caps. I've had 1 issue where the rear seal blew and lost all the grease. The bearings seized made a groove in the axel. I carried some spare parts to limp back home.

I got a new axel, and hubs all around. Ugh!

I do feel the caps when I remember to check for heat.

Otherwise I replace the seals each year, repack each year, and replace the bearings every other year.

I run the bearing buddies and I check them every spring for wear and then repack.

I do look on the inside from time to time to make sure no grease is getting through to the inside of the wheel. If no grease loss, no more grease in the buddy. If you have grease loss and need to add grease, I would guess you have a seal out.

I have never had a bearing issue on the road and will run the bearing buddies until they come up with something better.

I never worry about my bearings getting submerged into the weater when I am at the landing.

As easy as it is to repack the bearings and check the bearting, seal and race, to me it's a no brainer to do it every season. Then one never has to worry about a failure on the road. I do replace the bearings, seals and races every 2 years if they need it or not. Not that sdpendy and I then have zero worries.

When I am towing the boat any distance and I have to stop and fuel, I aslso check my hubs for any heat in the wheel.

Not that much to do to make sure your trip is free from trailer issues.

With all the issues you are having with bearings going out, I would look for a bent axle, spindle or a wheel.

Are they always going out on the same side? I would guess you have a trailer issue as you should not be going through that many bearings.

thanks for the reply harvey lee. most of my issues have been with past trailers i have had. thankfully this one i just put new hubs with bearings in when i got it. i too check my bearing buddies also i'm just so gun shy with trailer problems i'm the guy who checks them every month and sometimes has problems the next guy i talk to has never heard of bearings before and has never had problems. i like to be at home not on the highway as for the issue of a bent axle etc. very good call however i dont see any problems with this trailer. i believe i pushed to much grease in with the buddies and blew out seals so i replaced the seals checked the bearings and so far i have been good to go. thanks for your reply hopefully i will learn this stuff thanks