• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Troller makeover

hamms-scooter

I had posted a while back about wanting to possibly get a bigger transom mount troller. I have a 30 pound thrust on my 16' lowe lunker. I mainly backtroll with it and it has been getting annoying. Just not enough power when in high wind and with boats going buy at same time seems like the 3 speeds in reverse were just not doing it for me. I was told to buy a 45 or 55 and would not look back. Then I met a guy at the local boat landing who is retired from commisioner of dnr and was in dnr for 30 plus years. Said back when infisherman was just a little article in another mag , so years ago...the Linder boys did a segment on getting the most out of your equiptment and the main piece being your trolling motor and how importtant it was. He too was thinking back then his 30# was not enough. It said to simply take out the screw holding the tiller head to the shaft and spin the head around. Giving you 2 more speeds. I thanked him for saving me some doe and went home and did the 2 min job. What a difference! Feel dumb cause I have seen motors set up like this before,never thought twice about it.

I think I was one of the folks who said to go bigger and I appologise for trying to spend your money grin I guess I read thru your post and the other responses to fast to see that you were trying to back troll with it. Glad you got it taken care of on the cheap tho. I bought a 55 lb thrust for my little 14' alumacraft and would never go back to a 30lber. My battery lasts much longer during a day of fishing than it did with the little one.

I wore out my brothers 8 track tape of "Live at Budakon" I should find it on CD or MP3...

Battery lasts longer? Because not using high speeds to do the same thing? Anyway glad I took care of it for now. grin My buddy has a 80# thrust minnkota that you pull a pin on and turn the handle a quarter turn and it spins the motor around for you for backtrolling. Pretty sweet setup!