• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lund Tyee

MJBaldwin

Alright FMers here is my situation I am looking for a decent boat. Meaning good overall condition and runs well. But would like to be able to pull tubers and skiers if needed. I know with the price range I am in I am not going to be getting something too fancy. But I have been doing some searching on C List and have found a couple and a couple that I really liked have sold right away. But I recently found this Lund Tyee it is a 1971. From the pictures it looks really nice and not too out of date. The engine on it is a Johnson 100 HP almost positive that the engine is a 71’ as well. Would this be a good set up for the first time boat owner? I can attach a few pictures if you guys want a visual as well. Let me know what you think.

As long as the motor runs and the floor is not rotted out it should do just fine. You get what you pay for. You don't want to buy somebody elses problem if you arn't prepared to pay for repairs.

That pretty much sums it up. Being the boat is that old, really check that floor out for rot...and the transom. Too many peple miss that area. Make sure the steering cables/steering work well, lay under the boat and check the hull completely for cracks or missing rivets.

Check the electrics for cobbled wires/missing fuses. Make sure it shifts smoothly, and the lower unit has no water in it. Check for bearing play in the prop shaft, and check the shaft seals. If the engine starts and runs smoothly, the plugs look good, there isn't an excessive amount of piston slap, and no major leaks (including exhaust manifold) you should be good to go. You can check all this in about 20 minutes; it's really not that much...just the basics.

This past spring I bought a 1971 18ft starcraft that has a 71 Johnson 100 hp. The guy I bought it from didnt take care of $#!%. I had to redo the whole inside of the boat!! I paid $750 bucks for boat motor and trailer. I have spent about an additional $1500 on other things like tilt and trim. I knew I would have to put money into it and I didnt mind it considering what I paid for it! The motor runs fairly well and will do the trick for a couple years till I can afford to upgrade. Make sure you ask the seller plenty of questions about the motor. Good Luck!!

Depends on the skier. 1 ski start? it will struggle depending on the skier and his size. 2 skis? it will likely be okay. The first summer when I turned 16 and could drive, I headed to the lake a couple days a week and I pulled tons of people with my dads 70 hp 'rude on a 16 ft Sylvan, just depended on theyre ability and size.

Just be aware of what youre getting into. Older boats, well maintained or not, can at some point start costing you some.

Take a good look at the obvious stuff. Floor, transom and motor.

Try bouncing the motor on the transom, if you see the transom flexing when you do this, DO NOT BUT THE BOAT!!!!!

Check the compression of the motor if possible, have him take you for a ride.

Thanks for all of your information guys I really appreciate it. I know that I will run into some problem down the road with an older boat but then again I dont have the money to buy a newer one right now so was thinking of buying an older one now and then upgrading later.

I think that you will have plenty of power to pull skiers with that 100. That is the same motor that OMC built forever and if it has good compression, it will have plenty of power to pull skiers. You have to consider too, that boat has a much narrower beam than current boats and that extra material in the water and the weight robs a lot of hp. Running well, I bet you could get that thing close to 40 mph.