• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deepest walleye you caught?

What is the deepest you ever caught a walleye or ever fished for walleyes?

For me it would have to be 100' and have caught over dozen walleyes at that deepth!

Only time I go that deep is in the fall.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

WOW, 100'...that's impressive! I catch most of my walleyes in 8' of water or less(even as shallow as 1'). Occationally I'll go as deep as 40', but not often. Looks like I'll have a goal for next summer! I'll just have to make sure I have someone along that keeps fish...I can't imagine you can return fish when you've pulled them from that deep of water.

------------------
Tonka Boy

30' - but I've only been doin' it for one season. Seen them (or some other bottom dweller) on the finder at 80', though.

------------------
<)/////><{
RobertC

On an August excursion to South Dakota's Lake Oahe, we fished for and caught walleyes at 60 to 70 feet deep. I would never have tried it myself, but I was with pro-angler Mark Brumbaugh. We were "pre-fishing" before a NAWA tournament.

So how deep can you pull a walleye up from before it's for sure going to die?

I've heard 25-28 feet is the magic range for perch and crappie, which often hang deep, beyond which they're going to die.

But walleye? Did any of you guys release your deep fish, and did they look like they'd make it?

When you fish that deep; for 1 you are better off using a "no stretch" line like fire line so you can feel the fish and get a good hook set, and 2 after you set the hook reel them up slow so the pressure they go throught aint so dramatic and their air sack dosent pop out thier mouth 3" (had one that did that).
Ive caught fish that deep put them in my livewell and they swam around till i emptied the water out of it. So I started to release the small ones and they just go straight down, ive never seen one that floated to the surface that I have released yet.
Ive only released ones if their air sack aint so far out and if they already havent pop their air sack.
And this only happens in the fall on green lake that I catch walleyes this deep.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER

[This message has been edited by fishstunner (edited 11-10-2002).]

No they dont explode. lol
Ya true Backwater Eddy, but its sad to keep a 10" walleye, but unbelievably they go down. I have watched them go down on my vex it takes about a max of 2 min for them to go back to the bottom. It pretty amazing.

------------------
FISHSTUNNER