• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Brook Trout

Hey, thanks guys. It wasn't our biggest fish, but I tried some post processing that I've never attempted before. It was just the right picture to try it with. I've always liked playing around with HDR software. I usually bracket my shots and go from there. Today I created my own different exposures from a single raw file. My cameras will only bracket 3 shots, and I created 5 different exposures with my raw file. It's a little over saturated, to bring out the colors of the fish, but overall I'm quite happy with it.

Thanks again for the comments about the fish. I hope you liked the photograph as well. smile

what a pig of a fish, nice! what is this HDR software you're talking about? is it downloadable or purchasable from a retail store? I'd like to look into that for some of my fish pictures...your brookie picture looks awesome!

Brooky, next time lasso the fish and saturate it without saturating the rest of the photograph. smile

Great advice Steve. Better yet, just catch one in the fall and I just might have to desaturate it a little.

There's really no need to use HDR on this brook trout photo, though it's a lot of fun fooling around with it. HDR is most necessary when the exposure range of the image exceeds the sensor's capabilities, when a single capture would either blow out highlights or completely block shadows, or both. In a case like that, your 3-shot bracket and HDR treatment would be just the ticket. smile

what a pig of a fish, nice! what is this HDR software you're talking about? is it downloadable or purchasable from a retail store? I'd like to look into that for some of my fish pictures...your brookie picture looks awesome!

Thanks Mike. The HDR software that I use is photomatix pro. It's fun stuff to play with. I know that you can download a trail version that will leave some watermarks on the end result. Go and give it a shot. Here's another one that I did today with 9 exposures and more of an HDR look to it.

tail1.jpg