• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

pulling depth finder wires

gman2002

i'm going to replace the old black and white x87 that came with the boat - finally. the boat is a lund 1700 pro sport.my question is about pulling the wires for the new one to the back battery, so heres my plan-- are you following:) i'll tape the new power wire to the end of the old transducer cable and pull it back through to the motor, then take the new transducer cable and tape it to the old power wire and pull it back up to the dash, i know confusing. what i'm really wondering though is what are the chances of all the wiring that runs behind the side panels being zip tied together so i can't do this, and if they are how hard is it to take off these side panels to get to the wiring

Similiar to how I re wired my new locator, except I tied/taped a piece of string to the old wires, pulled it out, tied/taped the new cable to the string and fished it back through. It took a bit as it kept getting caught on something but it worked. Mine was a Tracker, not a lund...

I would do as TurnUpTheFishing suggested. I like to use a good small/strong string and pull that through with your old power cable. Make it long so you can just pull it back when you want to re-use it and it can stay there is it is ever needed again. When you are ready to pull in a wire make a loop and put a bit of the string in the loop and put your wire in the second loop so when you pull it tight it will cinch down on the wire you are pulling. Then take some electrical tape and tape the string to the wire so it can't move or get loose. I like to tape the ends so if it hits anything it will have a bevel and pull through easier.

Your wires may be zip tied behind / under the dash. Crawl under it and take a good look.

Take a look at how your current depth finder is wired.. I'd be surprised if there was a power wire coming all the way from the battery... more than likely it's getting power from the fuse panel or an accessory switch, so there won't be a power wire to pull all the way back.

I'd tie a rope / string / etc to the old transducer cable at the dash and pull it back to the transom, and reverse the process with your new transducer line.

The routing isn't too difficult in the storage compartments, etc. Take a look at it, take your time (don't pull if it doesn't come easy) and you should be just fine.

marine_man

k thanks guys, so marine man the power wire is about 20 ft long , your thinking that all that wire is just zip tied somewhere under the dash? sounds right about going to the fuse box, hence the master shut off switch