• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Fencing for the new Lab Puppy

CC Hurl

Hi folks, Well I am at the point of needing a fence to keep the dog in the yard and was looking for some info on what types of invisable fencing is out there and what you would recomend. I have been told the fence you bury in the ground is not real reliable and to go with something else. I have no opinion on them as I have never seen one work before. I thought this would be a good place to get some opinions on such a thing. Thanks for your time. The puppy (Boyd)is doing well and loves to play fetch with them antlers already, but likes to wonder already too. Lol

Thanks again.

I installed the Innotek Ultrasmart UIC-4100 about a month ago for our 7 month old lab. Installation took about 3 hours for a large city lot. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say it was about a 4. It is well within the means of an average do it yourselfer. It has a DVD explaining how to train your dog. Our learned very quickly and doesnt really need to wear the collar anymore.

I think that "if it will work" on your dog will depend on its temperment. Ours tends to listen and respond well to commands. But I do have a friend with a hard headed male. Tha dog will start from the far edge of the yard running full speed when hitting the "zone." A few seconds of pain for freedom I guess. For a dog such as his a physical fence is the only thing what will keep him in

Glock

I had a Menard's brand years ago and it worked great for my first Boxer. Years later I got another Boxer and he was really stubborn and would bolt through the fence.

We decided to spend the money on Invisible Fence brand since they guaranteed that it'll keep your dog in the yard. I think I had them out 3 times changing the collar but it eventually worked.

My new pup (GWP just over 4 months old) is now trained on the fence.

Installed the SportDog version two years ago. Seemed the best value for the money, mostly because the roll of wire provided was twice as long as other brands.

I'm FAR from a handyman, but it was easy thanks to advice received here about renting an edger/trencher to bury it. Still works great.

As for effectiveness, we followed the training regimen and it worked wonderfully. Personally, I think the biggest factor is whether you have good obedience training with your dog. If you don't, no fence will keep the dog from wandering.

We put the Sportdog in as well. We love it. We had three deer in the back yard, kids in the neighbors yard and people in the street. She just sits at her boundry and watches them. I went with the Sportdog for the amount of wire as well, but the line break is what I was really was looking for. Those pesky rodents chew through my sprinkler pipe so I am sure they eventually will do the same to the wire. Look at the box in the gargage, if both lights are not on we have a breakage. Bought the edger tool for my weed whip from Walmart and it went in very easy.