• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question on getting a hunting dog from the Humane Society

waxworm09

We are starting our search for a new dog, and we really want to adopt one from the kennel. I looked at a Lab Golden cross today, and my question is, if she wont fetch, is there any shot to train her to hunt? She is about a year old, i threw a tennis ball a few times and she had no interest, im pretty sure thats a sign to move on and look for another, is that correct? I should state that im not looking for the best hunting dog in the world, I just want one that I can take out 10 times a year or so, thats about all I hunt. The dog will be a family pet first, and thats why we want to adopt one. I know its a crapshoot getting one from the kennel, any advice on what to look for in the dog when searching? They also have a nice looking young GSP purebred we might be interested in, except we were kind of looking for another lab. Thanks for any help!

Like you said, its a crapshoot. The last dog I got from a humane society was one of the best dogs I've ever had. Not a hunting dog, but a great german shepherd. I just got a gsp cheap off of clist in sept. She just turned 5 and is also a wonderful dog. Awesome hunter, super with my kids, the best disposition I've seen. I think its great that you are going to adopt. Those shelters are overcrowded! Good luck

Gun shyness would be the biggest issue that would be very difficult to over come in a humane society dog and one that would be tough to determine at a shelter.

The dogs disposition is key. If the dog is not an aggressive dog or did poor with kids (you need to worry about the neighbors if you have none), then it should be fine to bring home.

On the flip side my concern would be if the dog was abused and would have a poor relationship with men. Dog's need to respect you, but not be in total fear of you.

I know a guy that posts on these forums that adopted a lab and the dog did a real nice job in the field.

Another way to compromise is to adopt a dog from someone that can no longer own their dog because of a good reason: moving, deployment, kids have allergies .... watch these forums and listen around - occassionally it seems that a dog becomes available this way if you are patient.

Good posts with good suggestions. My first lab some thirty plus years ago was a shelter dog but he was from a winter litter and the owner didn't want the hassle of keeping the pups. I'd made friends with one of the shelter workers and asked him to let me know if they ever got a litter of labs. When he called me let me know they were there I took a duck wing to the shelter, put all the pups on the snow and tossed the wing. If Luke (the one I chose) wasn't the first one to the wing, he absolutely harassed the other dog that got it until he gained possession. I've trained quite a few dogs and horses over the years and can tell you that it is much easier and faster to instil good habits/traits than to correct bad ones. Correction takes a lot of patience and time and is best done (IMO) when only one person is handing the dog. "Family" training of a faulty dog rarely provides the consistency required to overcome the problems.

Unless you're in a hurry and have time and a fair amount of training experience...or you know the dogs history, I'd "gently" suggest waiting for a pup. Luke and I learned together and he was amazingly patient and resilient as we learned to be hunting partners. I buried him by a slough and still salute him every time I drive by his "happy retrieving ground."

Good luck!

It used to open the 3rd Saturday in October and end the last of December. Limit was 6, but could vary according to the DNR ball survey. Haven't hunted them for years as they were nasty to clean and made me constipated. No balls for me anymore. blush

my point on the tennis balls was that i wasnt sure if the pup would be a good retriever in the field if she wasnt interested in retrieving the ball.
I wouldn't use a tennis ball as a gauge. My gsp also has zero interest in tennis balls, but is excellent in the field.

Hi waxworm,

Another option would be to get a dog from a rescue group instead of the humane society. This way you would still be helping a dog that needs a permanent home, but it would open up some options and you may be able to find out more about the dog before bringing it home.

To view rescue groups as well as humane society dogs you can search petfinder on google. open it and search labrador retriever in Minnesota and a ton of dogs to view will come up. This could help to find one that may be a fit for you instead of focusing on one humane society center.

You can also narrow it down by age/sex/size etc. in your search.

Pretty sad seeing how many dogs need a home out there.

I am 3 for 3 on getting dogs form the Humane Society. All have been very good hunters most had no idea what hunting was until I worked with them in the field, but they have all been very good dogs. Now that being said I do not just walk in and take the first dog I find, i want to make sure he/she has the disposition that a I want taking into consideration the enviroment that they are in.

I would be happy to show you my current lab "Hunter" and show you that wonderful dogs can and do come from the pound.

Also it is my belief that any dog can be a good dog, that part is up to the owner.. I spend alot of time with my 4 legged friend.