• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tube jigs

I just wanted to share a technique that I use when fishing tube jigs and see it anyone one else had any techniques they wanted to share with tube jigs or other pan fish plastics. I know the most common way to fish tube jigs is with a small jig head in the tube or slid up the shaft of the hook up against the weighted head. I like to use just a plain hook and a split shot. I found that a #6 bait holder hook works well, with a split shot just big enough to get your float to stand up. I run the hook through the tube and bring the closed end just past the top of the hook, and set the split shot 6-8" above that. Then just attach a float at a depth that works with where your fishing. I like to rig it this way so that you don't get just a strait down sink with the tube. You get the split shot bringing the tube down but when the split shot reaches the end you get a little bit of a slow fall at the end. It also makes it easier for the fish to inhale the hook because there is less weight to be sucked in giving a better hook set. It also seemed to work better in ruff conditions because I am sure it is more fluent as the waves lift and drop the float. It is also real easy to change colors. I just work it by casting it out wait for the float to stand up and jerk it in a little and continue. Does anyone use one of thoughs floats that clack when you jerk it. I was watching a fishing show that was working plastics under a float and the float had some beads on it with the float part loose on a rod going through the center. Every time he jerked it, it made a clacking noise that is suppose to attract fish. Anyone try one or know where to find them? Anyone have anything to add or other techniques for working pan fish plastics?

they do sell bobbers with rattles in them that is suppose to act like feeding minnows which is to attract crappies.....I have them but they are not used....now for working tubes I still love just using 1/32 or 1/16 oz tubes with the jig in the body of the tube and just casting letting it fall then popping it back towards the top of the water and letting it fall but always keeping a tight line....crappies love this!! otherwise I tend to just cast it out and steady retrieve. I use alot of plastics either 2.5" gulp minnows, berkley nymphs on a small jig, ratso's, and 2" teenie tail mister twisters are the others that I will always have in my bag with me!! Good Luck

I have some of those crappie bobbers laugh

But i attach them to the line 6" from the bait i'm drowning in the minnesota river for catfishing. When the 10" bullhead i've got hooked wiggles around - ideally it rattles the bobber and creates a noise that 'again ideally' helps attract fish. Never tried one for crappies though.

Thanks for sharing that tip, south metro. Sounds like a little different way to rig things that might help you put a few more fish on your line. I've got a few of those rattle bobbers, found a package at a shorefishing spot, some of the catfishing guys like to put them near their bullheads while fishing the river.

I use the same principle as the clackin bobber, but i cheap out! I just use a slip float that has the hard plastic stem, and leave the split shot an inch or so below it. Then every time you pull the split shot clacks against it. Maybe not as loud, but with the theory that sound carries farther in water??