• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Newbie spearing question

Fowlmouth

Easiest way is to drill holes in all four corners, use an ice saw for three of the sides and make a score mark with a chisel on the fourth side and break the block off. If you don't have an ice saw you can use an auger and overlap the holes you cut.

My portable has a 30"x36" hole, my perm has a 30"x48" hole. Some guys spear through smaller holes I like them fairly big.

You will really like spearing and theres lots of great guys on this site that will help you out.

Come on up to the GTG Dec. 16-18 there will be lots of equipment and guys to show how its done.

I make my hole about the same way as MJ. As I get older, there is no easy way to make a hole. Just some ways are easier than others. Over the years, I have aquired more eqipment so it is a lot easier than in the old days. A good augur, an ice saw and ice tongs. You will like spearing. It gets addictive.

MJ sumed it up best about hole size and the easiest way to cut a hole is with a fishtoys saw and as it gets later in the season drilling the four corners turns into four corners and the two in the middle and so on. Its all in how hard you wanna work at it.

Duck hunting really helped me gain paitence for deer hunting but spearing is what makes you stay and wait for the trophy not only in spearing but in hunting as well at least for me anyways

Glad to see your intrest is sparked fowlmouth hang around this forum and before long you'll be addicted to spearing like the rest of us...

I appreciate the comments guys. I'm sure I will have more "rookie" questions for you! I've been ice fishing as long as I can remember. As much as I enjoy it spearing seems like it would be a nice change of scenery. A new challenge.