• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Trout bullies

Ever since I started stream trout fishing within the last couple of years, I've run into a few stream bullies. They assume I don't know the regulations i.e. catch n release only, season opening, etc. Do I look that dumb? Is it because I'm not your conventional trout fisherman?

Short story - I was over on Pine Creek in Wisconsin about a few weeks after the catch n release opener, and an older woman stopped by. She said the stream was DNR managed and I can't fish there because it was out of season. I explained to her C&R had already opened. Funny because there were several people out fishing that day! She really made me feel like I didn't belong out there. This has happened a few times before, it's SO ANNOYING. Please be quiet, and let me fish in peace. If you think I'm breaking the rules, then call the DNR tip line and let the warden judge me. cool

im glad that you know the rules i quit fishing trout because my two favorite places to fish for them were unmarked and never had any fishing pressure, the DNR at the request of some trout group marked the streams and made them all artificial bait and all catch and release since they have done this the streams have been ruined by to much pressure i used to catch 20+ inch fish every trip now all i catch are small fish and i see many others dead everywhere like a chimical has been dumped in the water but w/ closer inspection the trouts guts or gills have been severly damaged by hooks. and every other stream across southern MN has a different set of rules makes it no fun for me i liked it when you could just go on a road trip catch a few trout from a dozen diferent streams and not worry about what the rules were for each one.....

my hat is of to you for knowing the regs for all the streams you fish and puting up with the changing rules.

Drew Evans

This year I am taking my first trout fishing trip without the benefit of going with someone who knows everything about where we are going, what we can catch, keep, what we can use etc. This forced me to really dig in and learn as much as I could about the confusing regs on trout and the business around them. I spoke with the DNR, have consulted with with helpful folks on here and am still leery of all the ins and outs.

Fishing is not an exact science (thankfully). I am sure I will make a misstep or two this weekend, but I'm going. Common sense and common courtesy will hopefully help. I've heard of fist fights on the banks of the rivers. Good grief.

from what i have read it seems this bully stuff is on the south eastern streams and a few in wisconsin but i didn't read all the posts. i have never run into anyone like that except one time on a lake that had trout in it. my boat was close to shore and i was haveing luck with a few brown trout. so this older lady parks her car and walks near to where i was fishing, and proceeded to cast her line with a bobber not 10 feet from my boat. within 5 minits she started to give me the riot act for hogging the spot where she regularly fishes off shore. well i told her i'm sorry i didn't know this was your private section of water and said have a nice day and went somewhere else and had a nice day.

some people are just rude. some people think they own the river and their "private little honey hole". as busy as the north shore gets this time of the year i have never had a conflict with any other fishermen. i keep my distance and others usualy keep theirs. i have more of a problem with some of the trash i find near these streams. i just cant understand why anyone would want to trash anywhere let alone fragile trout streams. this is why i carry a trash bag with me on the way in and on the way out. take the trash home with me or if there is a container near by dispose of it there.

it's too bad some of you had the misfortune of meeting up with rude or selfish people. i think most fishermen are true sportmen and women. good luck.

I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

Most people I've met on the southern MN trout streams are pretty decent folks. If not outright freindly... at least quiet.

I have experienced that, "I'm going to tell you!", attitude duck hunting and fishing in Canada when I was a kid though.

I'm no rocket scientist, have never hired a guide, have had NO trouble figuring the regs out. Just got a book brought it with opened it up, read.

Hope it didn't wreck your day.

Took my daughter out on a SE Minnesota stream yesterday for her first stream trout fishing trip. Had a WONDERFUL time, trust me, I was leary because I was going to an area that could be crowded with the elites..come to find out we had the stream to ourselfs, never ran into another person for a mile! Was able to teach her the low crawl upstream to ponds etc. As a bonus we also CR'd quite a few Browns..it don't get no better then that man. Ignore the people who feel its their duty to run your life. Tough times don't last, tought people do.

just ignore those people. concentrate on catching some fish, so they can feel jealous. if you really feel threatened, just leave. No point in risking life and limb over some fish. I like to think that karma will take its turn on that person.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I think you all are absolutely right. Most stream companions are good and friendly people. Just ruins your day when there's one bad apple in the bunch.

On a much better note: I could've posted this in the Duluth forum, but the story really does offset the negative experiences I've mentioned earlier. I went fishing on the north shore rivers for the first time this past weekend. It's been on my list of trout experiences to encounter a nice and big looper or steelhead. I met a fellow student at school who offered to show me the ropes since he knows the north shore rivers pretty well. What an incredible human being! He was probably one the most friendly and generous fisherman and person I've ever met. Given we've never hung out or done anything together, he was so willing and passionate to show me and 2 other friends how to fish for steelhead. I'll never forget the generosity and kindness he showed us - from one angler to another - just shows that it does not matter whether we are beginners or professional, we all have something to share with each other - the joy and beauty of fishing. grin

223031_554470779145_19401139_31710518_68

wow, what a brute!!! that smile tells it all. i would like to thank your friend for showing you "the ropes" so to speak. if you are going to teach something, do it well and by the looks of things a job well done. good luck.

WOW, awsome job. I would like to catch one like that. Keep it up. Yeah, I know what you mean with these bullies. It goes for all kinds of fishing. People always think they own the fish and water. Some do it because they have seen other fishermen who think the regs don't apply to them, while others just do because they think they can. Is that a looper or steelhead? I can't tell or how do you tell which is which? Was it a fight trying to get the fish in? Anyways, I love reading your trout stories and wish I had time to go and experience some too.

I was fishing Pine(mn) during winter c&r.. and i was on the stream and this guy gets out of his car.. gets all geared up and comes walking towards me and goes "I wanted to fish this stretch".. tough titty said the kitty.. get walkin!(i thought)...

Have had a couple other times i've run in to certain types that have been not the greatest people i have met on a stream before.. they all have seem to come from the same special interest group too.. and then other members wonder why i have a stigma towards this organization

Hi klee -- I don't know much about kamloops vs steelheads. The fish I caught was a kamloop because it has a clipped adipose fin. I don't want to be giving out wrong information: [Note from admin: Your post has been edited. Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

The fish didn't fight as much as I thought it would, but it was fun chasing it down the river! It was quite the hefty fish.

Awsome, Did you keep it or release it? My husband wanted to try fishing looper this year but I have school and life is busy, maybe next year. Keep up the good work, be safe, and keep me updated on your fishing.It's very interesting to read.

Hi Klee,

I released her. She had a belly full of eggs. I'm sure she may not make to spawn, but I'm not a big fish eater so it doesn't matter.

Yes, I think you and your husband should get out at least this year or next year and try fishing for looper. It's pretty fun, and not as intimidating as I first thought. Thanks for reading my posts, they're not so informational, but hopefully not so boring either!