• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Boat performance questions

Fathom

Since that time is almost near I have few things I've been wondering about

The boat (smokercraft millentia 90hp johnson) I bought last summer as a few things I would like to work out but not sure how

1. Correct plane - It seems the front end comes way up out of the water even with the motor all the way down, it doesn't take long to plane out but it doesn't seem like it is planing correctly I've been wondering if the motor is mounted correctly, any suggestions?

2. Have to keep your hands on the steering wheel or the motor instantly turns to the left, even at slower speeds you need to do this. It is a very strong pull. I've tried adjusting the trim tabs and it didn't seem to help. Is there another adjustment to make?

I don't know the pitch of the prop, is there quick way to figure it out?

I have been wondering if the previous owner tweaked the boat to perform for him because he was a rather large man but I don't have his contact info to find out.

Thanks for any insights.

I had the EXACT same problem with the 16' SmokerCraft (90 HP Merc) that I bought last year. Adjusting the trim tab all the way to one side made it OK, but I know that's not the right long-term fix. I can see from looking at the motor that it used to be mounted one notch higher (I'll take a pic when I get home and post it if I remember)...not sure if that would contribute to it or not.

If you find a fix, please let me know!

[Please read forum policy before posting again, thank you]

Found this article about an owner with handling problems, hoping I might find some easier solutions but might have to take it to a dealer if I can't get it performing the way I want.

Here are a couple of things to look at. First, the bow riding high indicates that the motor trim is out too far and your comment that it continues when trimmed in points toward incorrect mounting. When mounted correctly you will have neutral trim at the midpoint of the range. Maybe the previous owned shimmed the mount to try and correct a ride issue.

Second, the torque steer problem is most likely related to the first issue but can also be caused by mounting the motor too low on the transom. It should also change with the trim setting and at some trim level it should neutralize out. If it were my boat I would look at raising the motor up on the transom and re-evaluating the issue. It is relatively easy to do and may just solve the problem. Trim tabs will work to some extent to minimize torque steer but they are really just for fine tuning.

You can also try moving the load around in the boat, like putting weight in the bow or in the middle to see if the issue is corrected. A friend works well to test this one.

On the prop, just pull it off and read the numbers on the hub. The pitch and diameter should be there.

I have a 2003 smokercraft 161 pro mag with a 90 merc and i have the same problem with the steering. On my boat if you dont hold on the the wheel the boat pulls to the right. I havn't monkeyed with it yet either. If i find any info i'll let you know.

I have a 2003 smokercraft 161 pro mag with a 90 merc and i have the same problem with the steering. On my boat if you dont hold on the the wheel the boat pulls to the right. I havn't monkeyed with it yet either. If i find any info i'll let you know.

Same model as me, except mine is a 1997. I can tell you the redistributing the load does't help a bit. Adjusting the trim tab helped, but not all the way. Let's solve this mystery!

Got the boat out yesterday. I adjusted the trim tab to the side the boat was pulling towards and it seemed to help. The only thing i found was if the motor was trimmed all the way down the boat would still pull to the right. But if you would trim the motor up a little bit the pull would go away. I'm satisfied with the way it handles now compared to before.